Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever had a deer jump over your shot? or getting mad as sapplings that have been messed with.

Old 10-25-2003, 09:12 PM

Default Ever had a deer jump over your shot? or getting mad as sapplings that have been messed with.

Today was my first day out ever. i got in my stand a bit later than i wated to. I have a mineral block near my stand that differant deer are using, by the tracks they leave.
Anyway, after finally getting my saftey harness afixed to the tree properly and puting my release aid on i start to pull my bow up into the tree. it gets stuck on this sappling and i have to tug it 4-5 good times to get it up to me..this made more noise that i ever wanted so i expected not to see a thing.
Before i had a chance to take my cheap quiver off my bow this small but 8 point buck game jutting up and checking out this sappling under me for about 20 minutes he hit it afew times then went over to the mineral block thats about 20yds. from my stand.
I usually shoot w/o the quiver however this time i didnt and it made this hellish noisewhen i shot at him and he did this 4ft verticle hop and it went right under him. he looked around a bit then walked off.
waited 2 hours didnt see nothing else then i climbed down and left.

my stand is inbetween a soybean feild and wheat feild in a thicket. that there is a clearing in..

anyone else ever here of a buck getting mad at a tree you did something to or having one jump your arrow????

later
justin
Old 10-25-2003, 10:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ever had a deer jump over your shot? or getting mad as sapplings that have been messed with.

First year I ever bowhunted. I was strolling along in the flood plain of Canyon Lake, north of San Antonio. I had my trusty Damon Howitt recurve with me. It' s top speed was somewhere between slow and slower. As I' m slipping through the live oaks and tall grasses this nice little 4 pointer jumped up and stood broadside, 30 yards or so. He stood there and let me draw and shoot. The world went into slow motion. I could see the arrow arching on it' s way straight into the vitals of the deer. He watched it too as the world seemed to go Double Slow Motion. I had time to think, " boy, that' s a great shot. He' s dead" . At that moment I think the buck said, " boy, that' s a great shot. I better move" . He took one giant hop and the arrow passed about one broadhead width behind his butt. When it clattered off the rocks in the background he left.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:25 PM

Default RE: Ever had a deer jump over your shot? or getting mad as sapplings that have been messed with.

lol david, love the commentary..." boy that was a good story" ....haha
Old 10-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Dominant Buck

As Paul Harvey would say, I didn' t tell you the rest of the story. It wasn' t 30 minutes later I' m slipping among the trees and another little buck jumps up and stands there. These deer were basically not hunted and not overly spooked. So, being the experienced hunter of a miss, I' m wiser now. Again he lets me draw,( I' m smarter...remember?) I aim right in front of his chest cause he' s keyed and ready to bolt. I release and he acts just like a ball player falling the ball all the way to the catchers glove. When the arrow passes harmlessly under his neck and rattles of the rocks... he makes his jump.[X(][:' (][:' (]
Old 10-26-2003, 12:56 AM

dude, two nights ago i ahd a deer 7 yards from me. i was on the ground, drew and spooked him. i was bumed. oh well, think positve, itll happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Years ago, I was hunting in the foothills of the adirondacks, still hunting an old apple orchard with my trusty bear whitetail hunter, you talk about slow. As Im nearing an old fence I can hear dear walking so I stood still and 3 doe came walking right down the fence line, Im 5 feet from the fence and they are 5 feet from the other side, I figure awesome I cant miss, I pull back, get everything lined up and release, nothing except the deer I shot at is now crouched down looking around, I stood there in disbelief thinking that blood will start leaking from this deer any second, never happened. That darn deer ducked my arrow at 10 feet. Never ever underestimate the speed at which a deer can move, Ive heard that its some where around a full body depth in a third of a second.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

I watched a video once.....forgot by who dang it! Anyway, it showed a deer ducking an arrow at 20 yards. Then they showed it again in slo-mo. After having a laboratory do time frames and all their technical stuff, it came out to be the deer had ducked a body width in 1/5 of a second. []
Old 10-26-2003, 11:27 AM

I watched a video once.....forgot by who dang it! Anyway, it showed a deer ducking an arrow at 20 yards. Then they showed it again in slo-mo.
I was at Bass Pro Shops in St. Charles Missouri over the summer and a guy was there, forgot his name, showing his hunting videos and talking about how deer can " duck" your shot. The would show a hunt, then replay it in slow motion and put a red dot on the deer where the guy was aiming, just below where he wanted to hit, and then played it in slow mo, showing the deer duck a few inches before the shot got there. He talked about how the first thing a deer does when it hears a sound is to duck, not necisarily to duck your arrow, but to kind of spring load it self and be ready to leap to safety. May have been the same guy Cougar is talking about. I dont really think there is much u can do about it, most deer will duck a little, some may jump, some wont move at all, just one of the challenges i guess...
Old 10-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I think one of the more important parts of your post was that you don' t normally shoot with the quiver on so you didn' t know it was going to make that noise. I might be reading it wrong though so don' t throw rocks at me if I am.

I always get my bow zero' d in without my quiver on because I don' t leave the quiver on when I' m in my stand. But after that I practice with the quiver on as well. This way I know what effect it will have on the trajectory, as well as what kind of noise it will make so I can try and eliminate it.

My quiver is always attached when I' m walking in/out of my stands as well as just walking from point A to point B during the day. If I come upon a deer or happen to see one slipping through the woods the last thing I want to be worried about is that my quiver is on the bow and I don' t know what kind of reaction it might get out of the deer when I release.

I don' t know if your quiver has it or not but some quivers have a set screw to lock it in tight after you attach it. If that wasn' t screwed in all the way it could have helped to make that horrible noise.

Just my 2 cents though.