Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2003 Buck Skull Mount

Old 10-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 2003 Buck Skull Mount

I have a big one that is just cleaned.Have not been able to find anyone around here that will even work on such a thing. I wanted mine painted with nature scenes and a Indian theme.
http://community.webshots.com/user/midnight250
Click on the muzzy album it is on there Ideas please
Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 AM

What a great mount! Nice job, Lady Forge.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:11 AM

That sure is nice! I' ll have to think about something like that if I ever get a nice buck.....
Old 10-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

All dressed up and no where to go.[][:-]
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 PM

Lady Forge.
I clean skulls with dermistid beetles and they work really well but I understand your concerns with the hides. For bleaching the skulls go to a beauty products store and get some 40 volume hydrogen peroxide, and a powder called simple white. Mix them together to make a paste and brush it on the skull, it eliminates soaking in bleach and you can get the whole top of the skull white without worrying about bleaching the antler burrs. Let it sit for a couple days and rinse it off. Id like to try painting a few but dont have any artistic ability at all. Those look really nice.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cardeer; Is that the same skull that you spoke of before, I thought you were gonna do an American Flag theme on it?
Anyways thats a great buck with a nice rack, Congrats on him.
I am thinking of the picture of the indian sitting on the horses back with his spear and the horses head is hung low, You know the one its just a black siloutte , done with a wonderful background sunset of oranges, reds and pinks with a light brush of black gray and levender to show a few whisping clouds.... paint that on the skull forehead and add an American Flag in color to the indians spear with a arrow painted black down the bridge of the nose of the skull maybe give the arrow vanes Red White and Blue, set the colors off by painting the teeth of the skull with the same colors as the sunset , my sinature for skulls is I always put dream catchers or medicine wheels in the eye sockets. And if you decide you like the dream catcher idea for the eye sockets just let me know and I' ll send you some.
Make sure you show us it when finished I' d love to see what you decide to do with it .
Old 10-25-2003, 01:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lady I will eventually get around to it.Yep thats the same one. Excuse me ,but I,m not always up on things of the world. What is a dream catcher??? I was going to use small marker reflectors off a vehile ,then put 2 little light bulbs behind them. I thought it would be cool to be able to light it up in a dark room.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cardeer ; Here is a photo of a dream catcher I did, I know its not the best photo quality but oh well

Its an indian thing,The web is supposed to catch the bad dreams in the web and allow the good dreams to pass through the web. I make smaller ones without all the things dangling from them to insert in the skull eyesockets.
I like the reflector idea with the lights for the eye sockets, that would look great with the skull with the flag theme[8D]
Old 10-25-2003, 02:47 PM

Last year I did my first skull mount and was very pleased with the results. I took a nice 8 pointer last saturday and plan to do the same to this one. I also make my own plaque which looks like an American Indian arrow head (of some tribe). I go as far as to create the flint shipped edges. This years will be done on Mesquite and I' ll be sure to post a pic when done. BTW, I use " developer" from a beauty supply store. Why women put stuff like that on their head get past me!

Nice job on your friends mount!