Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would u do?? BEAR....

Old 10-25-2003, 12:59 AM

Default RE: What would u do?? BEAR....

I WAS HUNTING ONE DAY DEEP IN THE HILLS, I WALKED AROUND A TREE TOP AND A BEAR STOOD UP, NO MORE THEN 15 YARDS. ALL I HAD WAS MY OLD TURKEY GUN. ALL I COULD THINK OF WAS SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS I WENT TO PULL MY GUN UP I FELL BACK A SHOT UP IN THE AIR. NEXT THING I KNOWED WAS HE WAS RUNNING TO BEAT HELL THE OTHER WAY. SO I TURNED AND WENT BACK THE WAY I COME. I HAD A GOOD GRIP ON MY REM SP 10. **** I' M NOT MESSING WITH ONE
Old 10-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Just curios, and maybe some bear/bow hunters would have some insight, but where would you place the shot on a bear running straight at you, and how much of an effect would it have on it?

Old 10-25-2003, 06:53 AM

Cary some pepper spray for bears.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:58 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest some pepper spray. It is a real romantic thought to put an arrow into a bear that is going to attack you, if he was bluffing you changed his mind and if he wasn' t the arrow won' t deter him. As for the pistol, you were still shaking as you typed this, scared you pretty bad, could you draw the pistol aim it and hit the bear between the eyes or at the base of the skull, the only two shots that are going to knock him down and stop him as he is charging. Much easier to hit them with a thirty foot cloud of pepper spray. You need to get the bear spray, not the stuff they sell for women to put on their keychain. Check local laws though as the bear spray may be illegal on the east coast.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunt with a companion. Preferably, someone with a bumb leg or something that makes him slower than you.[:-]
Old 10-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just curios, and maybe some bear/bow hunters would have some insight, but where would you place the shot on a bear running straight at you, and how much of an effect would it have on it?
At 15 yds that arrow would be in flight, I' d try to hit him between the eyes, as to the effect I don' t know but at least I would have tried. As far as the season goes salt and pepper
Old 10-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

LMAO davidmil Thats gotta be one of the best responses I' ve heard in a while!! Remind me not to hunt with you in bear country though!

Old 10-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Jersey, at fifteen yards I think I' d be in flight too!! If I could move that is!
Old 10-25-2003, 08:14 PM

Thanks for all the input gentleman, this is great. I was talking to my brother-in-law about it, and his uncle, that hunts in the same general area i do had an encounter with a black bear as well, he was packing a .357 though. When the bear came toward him, he shot in the air, then the bear stood on its hind legs, so he shot at the ground, near its legs, and it finally turned and went the other way. I was never too concerned before about a bear encounter, but now I' ll be prepared. Thanks again for all the input, and safe hunting to all.
NHDemon
Old 10-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I' m actually suprised that people are that afraid of bears, especially blackies. I' m not saying that you should not respect them, but the chances of a blackie attacking are slimmer than being struck by lightning.

I have a couple experiences with black bears that bluffed that come to mind. One with cubs I accidently stumbled in between in spring turkey season had my attention. But she made every effort to avoid me as I backed away from the spot. She popped her jaws and growled a little, but 5 minutes later, she took her babies the other way and left.

The other was in Canada on a whitetail hunt. A big male charged to within 15 feet or so after dark while walking back to the road to get picked up. He carried on for a couple minutes and left. I think this one I startled.

Here in PA, the bears are docile animals who don' t want any more to do with you than you do them. 99% of the time, they' ll run the other way.

In the states, there is no need to carry a pistol or spray becuase of the black bears. The chances of a nasty bear encounter shouldn' t be a thought really. Now, canadian blackies are a little different for some reason. All guides I have talked to say they are more aggresive there and have mauled quite a few people lately.

Just my two cents

Quick Reply: What would u do?? BEAR....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.