Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rocket steelheads and Gold tip problems?

Old 10-22-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Rocket steelheads and Gold tip problems?

There was a post on here about a month or so ago about the Rocket Steelheads and Goldtips not haveing much threads holding them together. My brother was thinking about trying them and I gave a few. I thought that they worked on mine but looking at them again we relized they don' t. I took a head and took the washer off and added some blue loc tight and screwed them on as tight as I could by hand. Will this work? He is going to try them out tomorrow but I wanted to know if anybody had done this with theres. These a Steelheads right from Rocket last year. Any help?

James D.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rocket steelheads and Gold tip problems?

I would not try it the washers are there for a reson.To allow full opening of the blades plus they are made of metal.Your inserts are more than likely aluminum and if the broadhead hits a bone your blades will pass the full openwidth it was made for and go past causing a smaller hole and more than likely cut into the aluminum and breaking off the blades which would be like shooting a deer with a broadhead.Don' t be cheap on broadheads find something that will work and keep them sharp.Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I meant that it would be like shooting a deer with a field tip.[:-]
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Bubba, you know you can edit your post if you notice you messed up.....it' s the little pic to the right of your post. It has a pencil in it..............
Old 10-23-2003, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have done this and I can tell you exactly what will happen. The head will open up just fine, but the blades will fold back too far and the back of the blades will cut into the aluminum insert and probably into your arrow shaft as well. By folding back too far, the cutting diameter will be a little smaller than it should be. Ruined arrow, small cutting diameter.

If you don' t care about scrapping out an arrow and getting less than full cut, then go ahead and use ' em like that.

The problem with GoldTip and Steelheads is two fold. First, the counterbores in GoldTips inserts are deeper than most, but still within AMO specs. Their inserts will work with any head that is made to industry standard. The BIG problem is that the Steelhead' s threaded shanks are cut a full 1/8" shorter than AMO specs. They are counting on the insert makers to keep the counterbore depths either short or in the middle of their tolerance range so they can hang a thread or two with the steel washer in place.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:28 AM

Get The new HyperShocks from Aftershock they work great and all your problems will be solved.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]