Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

pic of the tracks of the slammer im chasing in bow only ny 4j

Old 10-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: pic of the tracks of the slammer im chasing in bow only ny 4j

If the deer was running the track on the right would not be so straight in. A running deer also lays a more Y shaped track than that. The toes are spread apart more from the center making a Y shape. These tracks are not really unnaturally spread. I check my hunting area by tracking all around bean fields some corn. I live in Northern Illinois and I get to see a lot of tracks. Wet black leaves great impressions. I have jumped a buck in the morning watched him bound out and away through beans. I later checked the imprint and found the track to be splayed even further than the picture and Y shaped. IMO this does not look like a doe print. In my experience, I would say this may be a 2 1/2 year old buck. I have not seen many doe prints showing dew claws without being sunken further than the given picture. Again, based on my opinion
Old 10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

One more point. how would a running deer get two prints in exactly the same spot. There is no way for the back leg to hit exactly beside the front leg while running. A running buck will have several feet between prints because of their speed. They do not make contact with both feet together. Nor do they imprint side by side while bolting.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:25 AM
nub

He must have been running to drop a quarter out of his pocket.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:42 AM

Bowhunters are all optimists,good luck getting that slammer.

Joe
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Its a nice deer but those tracks were NOT made when the ground was hard! It would have to weigh a ton to sink like that in hard clay. The ground obviously was wet when the deer came through.

Yeppers, I' ve seen bigger tracks from a walking buck, after I actually saw the buck walking on dry ground.

Still a nice deer and I hope you get....................him.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet
The hooves are splayed open which also points to a running deer. A walking deer will create a move even force on the ground and the hooves will remain um-splayed, but, when running, the force is multiplied which opens up the hooves.
BM - A walking deer' s hooves won' t splay IF it is a doe or a small buck. A large buck' s hooves will splay even while walking, and the dew claw impressions will normally be visible.

In this case, I' d say the tracks were made by a buck, just not a 250 pounder. Could very well be a nice deer, though. Only way to find out is to go get him!
Old 10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I have read about huge bucks that had small hooves and made average size tracks. That ol' boy could be a monster, stay positive! Hope you get him.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have read about huge bucks that had small hooves and made average size tracks. That ol' boy could be a monster, stay positive! Hope you get him.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Nub, Ya killed me.........LMAO
Old 10-23-2003, 10:35 AM

yea that might be a 140 to 150 fifty pounder its hard to tell untill you get the deer

Quick Reply: pic of the tracks of the slammer im chasing in bow only ny 4j

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.