Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

pic of the tracks of the slammer im chasing in bow only ny 4j

Old 10-22-2003, 07:55 PM

Default RE: pic of the tracks of the slammer im chasing in bow only ny 4j

i think its a record deer with a rack the size a frikin bus! if it aint, your going to have a blast chasing it, if it is.... BAM! i hope you get him!
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 PM

ARMallardSlayer, I was wondering the same thing. I thought I missed something, somewhere along the line. ..
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 PM

quote:

check out the tracks! wow, havent seen him yet but he' s a smasher im sure atleast 10 pt 250 lbs easy!

quote:

thats no doe, its 2 different deer an 8 and ten together! i seen them make the tracks at a jog not running!
" Now which is it? You haven' t seen him or you have seen him or them??????? "

Busted!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:01 PM

Those tracks are' nt that big[]I have seen bigger ones in Lathem MY SELF !!.That clay was too soft and that deer was moveing faster than a walk,,so to say this is,or was a monster, is jumping the gun.
Seen a good buck off the North Way last week.Right in your neck of the " woods"
Old 10-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice quarter that deer definitly slid though.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Not trying to be a smart alec at all. Just trying to point out the whole story and to keep you from jumping to conclusions. That' s two feet marks side by side and the deer slid and part of your 7 inches is the dew claw marks at the back of the track.... AND they' re not that big considering the soil. P.S. There is no 7 inch whitetail track Dorothy, even in Kansas.[:-]
Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM

No 250 pounder made those tracks. The deer slid, making the tracks appear bigger, and also judging by the quarter, they aren' t that big even with the sliding. Looking at a single hoofprint or two doesn' t paint the whole picture. You have to take into account length and width of stride, how deep they sink on different surfaces, if the tracks splay while the deer is walking vs. running, dew claws visible when walking, etc., etc. Also, it is impossible to look at a track and say how many points the deer has, it doesn' t matter how good you are at reading tracks.

I say this not to discourage you, but to hopefully give you a better understanding of reading sign. There just might be another deer in the area that weighs 250 pounds and has 12 points, it' s always possible. Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:11 AM

Man, this guy goes through the effort of taking some pics and posting them on here and you all are on his arse. Look how small that quarter is, I think it' s a big track!!!! Plus if the deer was at a run the toes would be split more and they' re not. It may have slid but I still think it' s a big track.

Good luck with him monsterbuck!!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2003, 07:38 AM

Like the others have said, the tracks aren' t incredibly large.

First off, the deer was at a run. This can be seen by how the front of the track sinks in deeper than the back. A walking deer will have more of an even depth because their body weight doesn' t have momentum. When a deer is running and the foot hits the ground, momentum pushes the body weight forward which causes the front of the track to make a deeper impression.

The dew claws also indicate that the deer was running as the angle of the leg is steeper than when walking which brings the dew claws closer to the ground.

The ground appears to be soft. The top layer looks to be about 1/4" thick of hard clay, but, a running deer will easily smash that, but, underneath, the soil appears wet, so, when the deer hits the ground, busts through the top layer, hits the wet soil, it slides forward a bit, which makes the tracks appear larger. Also, the width of the tracks appears larger because the top layer of soil was shattered when the deer hit it. This isn' t like a soft dirt that will just mold to the track, the edges of the soil cracked up and they don' t crack perfectly with the deers hooves, they will crack out further than the width of the deers hooves.

The hooves are splayed open which also points to a running deer. A walking deer will create a move even force on the ground and the hooves will remain um-splayed, but, when running, the force is multiplied which opens up the hooves.

This very well could be a large deer, but, I wouldn' t put bet my entire season on it.

If it is a biggun, I hope you bust him.

Quick Reply: pic of the tracks of the slammer im chasing in bow only ny 4j

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.