Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting the same spot

Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Default hunting the same spot

I was wondering how many days in a row you peeps hunt in one stand and than how long you let it cool down before you go back.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:48 PM

Default RE: hunting the same spot

I never hunt a stand 2 days in a row - unless it is crazy hot and I had a few good bucks around me the day before.

I like to keep about 2 weeks inbetween visits.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:00 PM

If you have the right wind for any given stand and you don' t spook deer out of the spot there is no reason you can' t continue to hunt the same spot. I hunted the same stand three days in a row and on the third day took a great buck. I would need a much bigger area to hunt a spot on a two week rotation like Rack. Either that or I would not be out hunting very often.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with NorthernMN on this one. If you have a hot stand, or if you use bait I see no reason not to hunt it a couple days in a row. If you see no deer the second day in a row, or the deer seem spooked...back out and you have your answer
Old 10-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel it depends on a multitude of factors. 1) what type of stand is it, i.e. treestand or ground blind. 2) Where is the stand located, i.e. funnel, corridor, bed, food source. 3) The deer population. 4) The prevailing wind direction. 5) What breeding/feeding stage the deer are in currently. 6) Hunter density. 7) Size of the land. 8) YOUR scouting and patterning abilities. 9) How much YOU hunt. 10) What YOU hunt. 11) Weather.

Different answers to all those questions will deduce starkly contrasting results.

Hence, if I hunt mainly funnels on doe trails leading to food sources, I know I have a good stand. In areas with high deer populations I can get away with " burning" that stand more often, because it is a high-use area and a natural security ' blanket' for the deer. I hunt funnels and corridors as often as I want, without worrying about spooking the deer (I hunt small acreage with very high populations of deer). If it rains, you need not worry about scent, and noise will be greatly reduced. Scent elimination, concealment, reduced movement, and having multiple trails TO your stand will allow ' over-hunting' of this stand site. During the rut, if you continually see does from this stand, sit there all day and every day because eventually you will catch a perusing stud looking for the ladies.

However if I' m going to hunt a buck, particulary a dominant buck which I have identified, the game changes. I' m now hunting a rub lined buck trail, or a buck bed, and he' s not going to get spooked more than twice before abandoning his routine. I' ll go with Rack on hunting this stand, probably no more than once a week or every other, with rain between visits to dissipate any scent.

This question comes up often, and I feel you need to diagnose multiple factors for an accurate result.

Good luck,

S&R
Old 10-22-2003, 05:01 PM

R&S - great info - IMO you are on the money

I gave an abbrevited at work answer -so let me clarify.

Most of my stand locations are high impact stands (bedding areas or real close). It is real easy to change a bucks pattern just enough so you will never see him if you hunt it to often.

If you have the right wind for any given stand and you don' t spook deer out of the spot there is no reason you can' t continue to hunt the same spot
I have to slightly disagree with that. IMO many times a stand is burnt out by a hunters entrance and exit routes. And these are often discovered by deer well after the hunter has gone home. I always say many hunters are busted when they are sitting at home watching the evening news, and never know it. So even when I have seen no deer wind me - I have had many a stand go dead on me.

I hunted the same stand three days in a row and on the third day took a great buck
I have no doupt you did - and this can often happen during the peak rut when bucks often run themselves to new areas every night. As R&S stated - I will hunt a hot rut stand as long as it takes to tag or burn.

hey - I am not saying you can' t be successful hunting a good spot for days in a row. But I feel your chances are much better - if you have a multiple of stands waiting to go - and rotate their use.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

How much time do you spend in that particualr section of the woods in the off season?

Is this the only spot you have to hunt?

How big is the hunting area alll together?

What kind of stand are you using?

Massbowhunter
Old 10-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

i have 20 stands so i never as a rule go the same place within days of each other, but this early pre rut i did once see a 6 pt one day w/ no shot and went back the next day same time and wacked him! so who knows!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I generally never hunt the same tree more than twice in a season. There have been a couple of exceptions... but most of my hunting is one or two times and on to other ventures. So many trees.... so little time. I' ve killed to many nice animals in the first trip to a tree and nothing later to continue going back. I know if I do my homework, find a bunch of spots, hunt when conditions are right, I get good results early or never. The percentages are on a NEW spot no matter how good the place looks. When I was beginning I had deeper trails through the woods to the perfect stand sites that never produced than the animals themselves had past the place. Many dry runs and reduced sightings and a whack or two beside the head cured me of such folley for the most part. I still have areas that I may go back to... but I use the climber and change trees all the time. Whenever I' m in the woods I' m looking for the next tree with good background cover, the right sign etc where I feel I can get lucky. I don' t care if I pass up 3 or 4 deer while there... I probably won' t be back for a while.