Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did API go belly up? Rumor at another site...

Old 10-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Did API go belly up? Rumor at another site...

They even had a web site saying they are no longer in business, but that the shrink tubing and accessories are still available. Any word on whether this is true or false?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did API go belly up? Rumor at another site...

I think they' ve gone under. I haven' t been able to confirm it though.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 AM

Yes. The product rights was sold to Outland Sports. Outland Sports is no longer making API. The rights were then sold to Bass Pro and API, to have the stands built an sold through them.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Check your Cabela' s and Bass Pro catalogs or websites..........someone overseas is now making the stands for them. Imported.........[X(]
Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Doug. They are a gonner. Shame though as I liked their stands. I will still use the Bowhunter but I have since picked up a Summit that I am happy with. You can definitely still get accessories and Bass Pro and Cabelas are still selling their stands but, as mentioned above, they are now imported.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks fellas. I have the API Bowhunter, but will upgrade to a Summit before long since they' re much better anyway. I used to get whatever I want whenever I wanted it. Enter house wife, kids, minivan, cabin. At least I got the cabin, albeit before I could really afford it. Now I have a laundry list of things to do ($$$) to finish off the inside before a new tree stand is feasible.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the record:

API is/was owned by Outland Sports, who bought out Paul Meeks the org. inventor of API. Outland also owned Lohman, Fealther Flex, Blueridge, Big River calls, Mad Calls, and another company or two. Outland went out of business and took all those companies down the tube. Right now they are in the process of being bought out.

Bass Pro and Cabelas got together and leased the name and patents for API and THEY started having the stands made over seas. So if you have a gripe, blame those two companies for selling out to cheap labor. At this point Outland nor the now defunct API can be blamed for the quality of their stands since Bass Pro and Cabelas are the companies that are actually marketing the stands. If Outland is bought out as they are supposed to be, this could all change in the near future.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:07 AM

On another note....