Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dumb Question How to remove bladder?

Old 10-21-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Dumb Question How to remove bladder?

I got the field dressing thing down, but i am not sure how to remove the bladder. This was the first time field dressing. It was a buck. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dumb Question How to remove bladder?

Very carefully

Sorry I just had to make a smart a$$ remark before rack did
Old 10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Cut around, well...............best way is for someone to show you rather than describe it here!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can either cut around the anus (filet knife works best) and pull it all out together or you can split the pelvic bone and saw out a big enough piece to allow you to get everything out together.

BTW , thats not a dumb question! Working at a butcher shop I' ve seen alot of spoiled meat by people doing it wrong because they didn' t ask how!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

You can either cut around the anus (filet knife works best) and pull it all out together or you can split the pelvic bone and saw out a big enough piece to allow you to get everything out together
If you cut around the anus it' s all connected well enough to pull out? If you split the pelvic bone where do you saw?

Sorry, haven' t gotten my first deer yet.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you cut around the anus it' s all connected well enough to pull out? If you split the pelvic bone where do you saw?
If your cutting around the anus , I like to use a long skinny blade like a filet knife so you push the knife in far enough to watch the blade as you cut around the anus. If you do it correctly everything will pull out together. I do this part after I remove the guts so I can see my blade tip while cutting around the anus.

Some people have trouble doing the anus cut without puncturing the bladder and find it easier to saw the pelvic bone. If you choose to saw the pelvic bone , just spread the legs apart , cut with your knife right down the middle (between the hams) until you hit the pelvic bone. Then use either an axe or pelvic saw (cabelas has them cheap) and make two cuts roughly 3" apart so you can remove that piece of pelvic bone and get at the entire poop chute.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Dominant Buck

You don' t need any big fillet knife or any of that stuff. I just use my little Gerber. Cut around the anus working it loose as deep as you can inside the pelvic bones. Once you have it cut good and loose and can pull on the whole works slightly to allow you to free it deeper. Longer fingers would help. Honestly, I do most of the free with my bare hands. Then I do the rest of the dressing. I don' t mount so I cut the windpipe loose about halfway up the neck and work around it alittle with my fingers to free it. Then when I cut the cavity open I reach up inside, grab the windpipe in front of the lungs and if you do it right you pull and the whole works lungs, guts, butt and everything will come out in one big piece. You' ll have to do some cutting of the diaphram and the organs along the spine, but it really does all fall out nicely. I work around the anus from the inside with my hands to make sure it free so it won' t bust off. If the bladder doesn' t come you can go in and free around it, pinch it off and pull it out. You' re right.. a lot easier to do than explain.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

davidmil made a good point...don' t forget to cut the windpipe out. Leaving that will spoil your meat just as bad as leaving the a$$hole in tact. Here' s a site that goes over how to field dress a deer:

http://www.shanepotter.com/fielddressing.htm

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Thanks. I now have a good idea on what i am doing. Ill see if I can have someone show me how to do it next time.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:27 PM

there is a bone that the bladder goes into, reach down in and pinch it and cut it off while still pintching it.

Quick Reply: Dumb Question How to remove bladder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.