Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dumb Question How to remove bladder?

Old 10-28-2003, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Dumb Question How to remove bladder?

I don' t want to get too technical, but I work as a surgeon and I think I have a few easy tips. Once you have completely opened the abdominal cavity, your cut should end at the pelvis. You can then take your fingers and gently push the bladder off of the inside of the pelvis. After you have cut the trachea and esophogus up high in the chest you should peel the entire contents of the chest and abdomen down toward the pelvis. It is important to make sure that you have the kidneys peeled off of the muscle. The kidneys are connected to the bladder by the ureters. Once you have the bladder freed up along with the rest of the chest/abdomen contents, you should be able to then cut around the anus without puncturing the bladder. I always do this with one hand inside the pelvis pulling traction on the rectum (this makes cutting easier) and keep the blade of my knife pointed toward the bony wall of the pelvis. Good luck, its not nearly as hard as you might think.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:08 AM

This is a comprehensive guide that gives you all the info you need to know from the time you shoot your animal till you eat it.....

http://eesc.orst.edu/AgComWebFile/EdMat/PNW517.pdf
Old 10-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tabby you have received a lot of good advice, the only thing I will add is to take your time, the more deer you dress the quicker you will become. Antoher thing I will add is " feel" has a lot to do with freeing up any organs that remain attached to the deer, a lot of times it can just be pulled free, other times you may need to use just the tip of your knife to free it up. The first one is the hardest, and I have to say I would rather dress a buck than a doe, more ueretha with a buck.