Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will he return?

Old 10-20-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Will he return?

I drew back on my first big buck the other day and when I came to full draw, he took a step to the right which forced me to have to change my position because of the way the limbs are behind me. When I did, he heard my arrow come off my rest. It was not loud at all. He didnt spook much, never knew where the noise came from, but it was still enough to make him uncomfortable enough to leave. Is there a chance that he could come back another day or in your experiences when something like that happens is it pretty much see ya next year?
Old 10-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Will he return?

Nic, there is no definite answer to your question. But let me tell you a story about a friend of mine. He had an eight point come in one morning and he shot at him. Unfortunate for him, his peep was out of whack, and he ended up shooting two feet over the deers back at 15 yards. Of course this scared the deer. Next day, he went back to him same spot and guess who apperared at the same exact time the next day? That was the end of the story for that buck.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:57 PM

Yep, deer can be creatures of habit too. Unless you gave him a real good reason to change his pattern, he probably will come back. Of course you will never know if you don' t go back there and get after him.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:48 PM

or in your experiences when something like that happens is it pretty much see ya next year?
Yup........That about sums it up
Old 10-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

You will see him again!! A friend of mine on his first bow hunt ever grazed a doe on her underbelly just left white hair on the ground. Next morning he radios doe missing belly hair now missing her friends. More or less same time the next day and he drops her. Keep that chin up!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

A truly BIG Mature buck usually only allows for one mistake. He may stay in the area... but chances of catching him at that spot again are slim. Now if he' s just a nice 2 1/2 or something... he' ll probably be back in the area. I' d find Plan B Tree though if I even thought he might come back.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps as the rut fires up he' ll show up again chasing some does.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:07 AM

I would have to say that if you didn' t spook him to much you stand a good chance of seeing him again. You might want to move your location some. Often times he' ll change his travel lane just slightly to avoid where he was concerned.

When I first started bowhunting I was under the impression that you couldn' t ever make a mistake. Well, let me tell you I made more than my fair share and learned that unless they really bust ya they will come back or at least stay in the area.

Someone above posted " deer are creatures of habit" and that is a very true statement.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:12 AM

two years ago,my wife shot at a real nice mature 8 pt. two times in about 5 min.first miss was just under him,he jumpet and walk around,anout 5 min. later he was still there and came in again,she shot and cut white hair from under his bellie.[:' (]
She didn' t go back sunday,and I went there monday.at good light he was there again,his mistake.I took him home.[8D]she said it was the same deer and he had a spot of hair cut.

that same year I had a big 8pt. come up behind me.he say me but didn' t reall get spooked,just walked off.I would rattle real lightly and rake the bark of the tree I was in.he would walk back with his tail real high.several times.never gave me a shot.
That was the last time I ever saw him?????[:' (]

go back and wait on him.you never know if he will come back or not.