Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow flight and Aim

Old 10-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Arrow flight and Aim

I' m new to bowhunting this year and although I am shooting good with a target at home, I' ve had three misses in three days so far - all within 20-25 yards approx.

How does the arrow flight change from a straight shot at ground level to an angled shot from a tree stand? Does it tend to shoot lower or go higher - or is it a perception thing?

What about number of pins? Some friends use only one - I have two - 20 and about 25-30 yards. Maybe I' ll only get better by practicing from the stand?

Having lots of fun, but don' t want to miss another one - still learning how not to spook the deer and how to be patient when taking a shot - got surprised this morning right under the stand and spooked her when I grabbed the bow - fun, fun, fun...

Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow flight and Aim

Your arrow will hit higher from a treestand. How high are you? Just keep in mind to aim a littler bit low and you should be fine.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:32 AM

Have you practiced with your hunting broadheads??

It is common for them to not hit the same as field points. You need to retune your bow for fixed heads or resight it.

If you do not bend at the waist - you can hit high up in a stand. If you bend at the waist and your form is good - your impact should be dead on.

You should always practice from a stand and with your broadheads - so there are no surprises in the woods.

Shooting at live animals is not the place to " find things out"

Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definately practice from a tree stand when you are able to. Especially with your broadheads. It' s best to know exactly how they will fly under hunting conditions.