Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP...farmer plowed under the feild i hunt

Old 10-19-2003, 08:03 PM

Default HELP...farmer plowed under the feild i hunt

the farmer plowed under the soybean feild. is it worth hunting it still or should i try to get permission to hunt a different farm?
Old 10-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP...farmer plowed under the feild i hunt

That food source is gone. Do the deer that were coming to that field bed on the property that you can hunt, if so, find the trails that they will be shifting to on thier way to a new food source. If they don' t bed on the property that you can hunt, is there any reason to beleive that they may cross the property while moving from bed to food? Is there any mast crops, acorns, on the property or water source on the property? Take some time and figure out what they are doing differently and adjust your game plan accordingly. If they all left because the food source is gone, it' s time to ask permission on another property.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my experience I have always had much better luck in the timber vs. field edge hunting. Sure you may see a ton of them in the fields but how may are in shooting range. I very rarely hunt a field edge anymore. I have taken every one of my bucks in the timber, although I have shot a few does on field edges. It really matters what you are looking for really. Them deer aren' t going to move out of the county since the field was plowed, you just need to find some mast crop or a funnel in the timber and set up on it. I just took my 2003 buck saturday morning and the fields were plowed over two weeks ago there. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:49 AM

I agree with buckeye. I hunt on a property that is apprx 200 acres of crops. However, this year the farmer planteed winter wheat and did not plant crops this spring. There are NO beans or corn this year BUT I am still seeing deer. I think mast crops are just as important as other crops.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same thing happened to me.

On one of the farms I hunt, I hunt in a wooded " funnel between a green field and what was a hay field.

The farmer came out and cut hay field very low to the ground and with all the rain we' ve had, it turned muddy. Now the deer won' t use that field and they' ve been avoiding the funnel where I set my stand.

Prior to the farmer cutting the field the deer traffic was HEAVY. Now it is fair at best.

Hopefully the rut will drive them through my funnel again, but it does not look good at thise point.

But....worse things can happen. It is only a game.