Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trying to get first buck...

Old 10-19-2003, 05:33 PM

Default Trying to get first buck...

Hi All,
I am 14 and I live up in Michigan. This is my second year bowhunting. I still have not shot a deer (with a bow, that is). I went into the season planning on shooting a doe, but last night my plan changed.

I went out to my stand, and at about 7:00, I saw a deer running down the fence line full clip. It ran into the tree line and disappeared. A minute later, I saw a little buck (four point--not big, but still exciting) standing 50 yards away. He' s a local buck; I' ve seen him a couple times before. He was acting real spooky, but I guess that' s just the way bucks are. He started slowly working his way towards my bait station. I then saw a doe on a hill 100 yards out from my stand. At about 25 yards, the buck turned around and went back into the trees. I don' t think he knew I was there, because I was stone still. He was down wind, and I wasn' t wearing my Scent Killer, but I was 15 feet up a tree, so I didn' t think it mattered. Did he smell me? 5 minutes later, I saw him come out of the tree line down where the doe was. She started leaving so he followed her. It appears he was more interested in the doe than his food. I though this was weird, because the rut is still a month or so off. However, I went to T.R.' s sight and found out that it' s the stage right before the run, when bucks start chasing does. I think if I had scent or a call I might have brought him in. [:' (]

Anyway,
I' m now set on getting this buck. I' ve been reading a ton on scents and the like. I got on Cabelas and ordered Trail' s End #307, a Primos Hardwood Grunt, a Primos Lil' Can Estrus Bleat (I think that' s the name), and their calling video. Is this a decent set up? Any tips on how to bring him in? All help is welcome! Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Trying to get first buck...

One other thing,
Do I need to get a decoy, or is this unneccesary? I shied away from it, because of the price, but if it would help alot, I might do it. Would I want a buck or doe decoy? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 06:36 PM

DOE DECOY

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:40 PM

Okay, thanks for the info...How should I set it up? On the bait station? Do those sillouette decoys work well? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 06:43 PM

SETUP 5 YARDS OFF BAIT STATION. SPRAY SCENT KILLER ON YOUR HANDS AND ON DECOY TO KILL YOUR SCENT BUCKS WILL TRY TO SMELL THE DECOY.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:46 PM

Should I set up past my stand, so the buck has to walk past me to get it? Or should I put it right in front of me? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 06:47 PM

PAST YOUR STAND.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:49 PM

Thanks a ton for the help! Any tips on calling? Will it sound weird when the call comes from 15 feet up a tree? And should I put scent right on the decoy? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 06:55 PM

I HAVE NOT PUT SCENT ON THE DECOY BEFORE BUT ON TV I HAVE SEEN BUCKS SMELL THE SCENT ON THE DECOY.GIVE IT A TRY. USE THE CAN CALL IT SHOULD BE A PREETY GOOD SETUP. KEEP THE WIND WRIGHT TO.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, keeping the wind right is a bit of a problem...My stand is at the SE corner of the 20 acres I live on. To the east of my stand, there is a 100+ acre parsel of land. It' s only hunted during rifle season. The buck always seems to come out of here, eat, walk the eastern fence line, and go back. My problem: He always comes in downwind. I guess this is good for scent attractors, but bad for me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Spike Buck

Quick Reply: Trying to get first buck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.