Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trying to get first buck...

Old 10-19-2003, 09:47 PM

Default RE: Trying to get first buck...

Okay. I' m homeschooled, so I can hunt mornings (before school) and evenings, and do some school at night. It' s great. Plus, this dripper may pull in some other local bucks too, right? I' ve seen an even bigger forkhorn around, and my neighbor has seen an eight pointer. You never know.... Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 09:48 PM

[email protected]

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:50 PM

it will bring bucks from every where. good luck .got to go to bed.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:08 PM

Well, all my stuff should arrive tomorrow, so I went out to my stand to try and find a good tree to hang the dripper on. The only trees I could find that were in the right spot and tall enough were Christmas-tree type pines. They seemed a little too..." bushy" to hang a dripper from. I could be wrong, though. What should I do? Should I trim one of the trees a little, or is this a bad idea? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-21-2003, 09:18 PM

trim will be ok. but a buck needs room ...try to find a tree limb hanging in a clear spot off the gound. hang the dripper wear the bucks can not get your dripper.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:19 PM

How high can a buck reach?

-Spike Buck
Old 10-21-2003, 09:24 PM

hang it high as you can get it it will have to be higher than 6 foot.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:33 PM

I went out and set up my dripper yesterday. I hung it on a pine tree in front of my stand, about 6-7 feet up. No action yet, but I must be patient.

I was thinking about where I should put the dripper, when something hit me. Several times in the last few weeks, when I went out to re-bait my bait station, not only has the bait been gone, but the ground has been torn up like someone got to it with a grass rake. There were these long vertical lines crossing it, in an area of about 4x4 feet. I thought maybe turkeys had done it, but I there were no turkey tracks, and I haven' t seen any turkeys in a while. Any chance this is a scrape?[] I didn' t think it was, but it' s in a good spot for one. I' ve never seen a scrape, so I don' t know.

Anyway, I went out this morning with my calls and some Trail' s End #307. I had been calling about every ten minutes or so for about 30 minutes. At about 10 min. before sunrise (which is when the deer usually show up for me) I decided to stand up to be ready for them when they came. I' m mad at myself for it. I' ve told myself a million times not to stand up until the deer are under my stand.[:@] Anyway, the second I stood up, I heard the tell-tail snort. I turned around, and saw a few white tails bobbing away. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Another thing (this is the best one):
I spent most of today tracking a coyote that had jacked the stake on one of my traps. While I was out in the woods looking for it, I found a nice rub (the biggist one I' ve ever seen). At the time I didn' t think much of it, but this evening I remembered it. It was about 4 feet up a 10-12 inch red pine. It was about 8-10 inches tall by about 6 inches wide.[] It was really fresh, because there was still sap dripping down it. Is this big? This was one national forest, so I can hunt it if I want. Is it worth hunting? If so, how could I use the stuff I have to help me? The dripper? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-26-2003, 06:34 PM

Another question,
Rubs are usually found with several in an area, right? Or is there sometimes just one? Should I look for more? How should I hunt it?
Thanks!

-Spike Buck