Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dream land lease, $2000???

Old 10-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dream land lease, $2000???

For 600 acres, I would say 6 people would have a great place to hunt and not provide so much pressure to push off the deer. That puts you at about $ 350 per person, which to me is a great deal. Let me know if you need anyone else. I' ve been looking for a lease in Ohio, but Missouri, is perhaps doable. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:40 AM

Rangeball' s comment is right on- 4 guys @ $500 and 600 acres is a good deal. Whithout knowing the lay of the land- saying 50 acres per person isn' t quite right... doubltful that all 600 acres are of equal hunting quality... some woods, some crops, some may have been heavily grazed in the past (he' s a cattle rancher).
Old 10-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it' s mostly timber the price sounds very reasonable. However the number of hunters does not. I' m thinking 4 guys would be a much better choice. If you have anymore than 4 guys, it would be almost impossible to keep from spooking deer off the place. 12 guys crawling thru the woods, leaving scent, hanging stands, etc all in under a square mile....it would be a good idea IMO. Also if this man has never allowed hunting, you do NOT want to go in there with 12 guys flinging arrows at everything that walks, the land owner probably would not be happy with that many deer being killed off his place in one season.

Just my thoughts but I' d say definatly go for the deal. If you can' t afford $500 each you might get one or two more guys but I personally wouldn' t plan alot of trips where everyone is hunting at the same time. You will each need plenty of setups for differnt wind directions. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in rockford michigan and around here it would be real nice to have 50 acres per person! I hunt with 4 people on 111acres and my uncle has 3 on 80 acres. I know some people that have 2 sometimes 3 on 12 acres! That sounds like a heck of a deal to me. Makes me realize how much more land people need to have a lot of wildlife in other areas. On that 111 acres the 4 of us have seen 6 different bucks running around so far.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:42 PM

If the place has large deer, I would get one other buddy and come up with the $2k between you, toss in another $500 to the landowner and tell the other hunters... TOUGH DOODY!!!

50acres per man is laughable, thats WAY to many men on that small of a plot. You guys would be crawlin allover each other!!!
RA
Old 10-18-2003, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take it you need a lot more land out west than in the midwest then.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

thenuge: I sure am confused... I' m hunting with 2 other people on 7 acres and in 4 trips we' ve seen 9 deer. This is just kinda " the best we got going" close to home. It' s not counting our places that are hours away. But I sure don' t get what would be wrong with 50 acres a person. I' m not an expert hunter, I know, but I just don' t get the need to have 100-200 acres per person.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem you run into with too many hunters hunting the same area is that the probability of the deer getting spooked and changing thier routes increases 10 fold. It gets much more difficult for several guys to get to and from thier stands with out alerting the area deer. Eventually, the deer will change thier habits, and possibly move out of the area or " go nocturnal" and the chances of taking any of them goes down also. That' s not to say that they wouldn' t still see deer, but the deer will be harder to pattern! Like was said, is all of the 600 acres of equal habitat. Probably not, if some of it is crop land and if some of it is grazed pasture, well now the huntable acreage just got smaller and the 12 hunters just got forced to hunt closer to each other. In simple terms, the more acreage to the fewer hunters should increase success!
Old 10-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, Have to agree, 4 people is plenty. 500 might seem like alot now, but save up for it all year long and it' s only about 41.75 a month. If its a good area it would be worth it. Believe me, if the deer get spooky and only come out after dark, your going to have a tuff time getting a shot.

With twelve people, it would be a hassle trying to get cooperation between all involved. About the time your drawing back on a nice buck, one of your partners goes walking by and poof, no more nice buck. You' ll have a hard time trying to organize things with 4 people let alone 12.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:33 PM

Down here we try for 100 acres a person.Six people would be ideal.If it' s farm land how much huntable land?12 is too much even for all woods.With a lot of fields you will be stacked up and put too much pressure on the deer.$350 to hunt Miss. farm land that' s dirt cheap.He' ll I' d pay just to drive up and make a couple of hunts.We pay $600-800 for a decent lease.Really good places run from $1200-2000 and up.

CB

Quick Reply: dream land lease, $2000???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.