Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Pounding

Old 10-17-2003, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Pounding

Although I have a climber, I' m spending more and more time on the ground. I' ve arrowed four bucks in the last two years, three while down there with them. I like the challenge of working the terrain and wind. I like the freedom to move as conditions dictate. I like the shot angles a lot better. And I especially like the sense that I' m actively hunting and not passively waiting. The " look up" gene seems to have made it into the herds where I hunt, necessitating higher and higher treestands. I have the climber in the truck and will use it if I find the right set-up. But if you haven' t been on the ground in awhile, you might want to give it try. A successful stalk on his terms is pretty satisfying.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Pounding

Anytime you arrow a buck it is rewarding and I have no doubt that getting on ground level is even more rewarding for some. However, I don' t fall into that category. What gives me satisfaction is predicting when a buck is going to be in a certain area and putting myself in that area and capitalizing on it. I am the same way with turkey hunting. I don' t care to sneak up through a ditch line and shoot a turkey feeding out in a field etc. I am just that way. I am sure that limits how good a hunter I will ever be, but I get more gratification from killing them " my way" on " my terms" . To each his own!