Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tendonitis/Tennis Elbow from shooting?

Old 10-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tendonitis/Tennis Elbow from shooting?

I have developed a very sore elbow that I can only describe as tendonitis or tennis elbow. Some sort of inflamation of the tendons in the elbow. The only thing i can attribute it to is shooting my bow. Since I really ramped up my practice shooting this year, I have developed this irritation.

Have others experienced this? I suspect part of it may be the age of my bow and the vibration it transmits (or maybe i' m just a wuss). This may be a good excuse to get a new bow, but I am not sure that will solve the problem. I have never had this condition but it has become pretty bad.

My bow is a 10 yr old Hoyt Super Slam Fast Flite with Sims string tamers and limbsavers, a stabilizer and 63 lbs tension. Is it likely the bow? Can I do anything to minimize the shock?
Old 10-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tendonitis/Tennis Elbow from shooting?

Tealboy;
I also suffered from a bout of tennis elbow a few years ago. And yes it was very painful to shoot my bow, I had it in my bow arm.
Are you sure it is the bow that is causing it?
I originally thought maybe it was my NEW bow that was causing it, but then between the doctor and my self we figured it was something else, I had a pizza Franchise and I was making and hand rolling huge amounts of pizza dough everyday , this was the source of my injury. The doctor prescribed a type of elbow strap that is worn on the forearm just below the elbow and it has air filled pockets on it , and he prescribed anti inflamitory medication, and to try and disscontinue the activity that was causing the problem, REST THE ARM.
Now if you still think it is shooting your bow that is the source of your injury then take a look at your form. Is it your release arm or your bow arm that is in pain?
If you are shooting with a tensed arm try shooting with a relaxed arm, if the shoulder and elbow are not relaxed when shooting your shots may not be the only thing that suffers. Do you shoot straight elbowed or a slightly bent elbow, I find a slightly bent bow arm elbow is a more relaxed arm and causes me to torque the shot less. Make sure that you are also shooting with a relaxed bow hand, a tense hand will like to torque the bow also.
I also decreased the amount of shots I was shooting when in pain, I TRADED QUANITY SHOTS FOR QUALITY SHOTS[8D], Shoot every shot as if it is the only shot that you will get, make those shots count, I found once I was getting tired and in pain my form was going down hill and that meant it was time to stop shooting, and come back later or the next day and shoot again.
You say its getting pretty bad, then I would say have a sports medicine doctor look at your elbow, better safe than sorry.
I hope it gets better soon for you

" GOLDEN KEY FUTURA STAFF SHOOTER "
Deborah KF
Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tendonitis/Tennis Elbow from shooting?

Definately give that arm some rest. If the pain persists even when you' re not shooting I' d go see a doctor and have it checked out. Better safe then sorry. Not to mention they can likely give something to take the edge off the pain.