Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time --- Thanks Dad!!

Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 PM

Default First time --- Thanks Dad!!

Well, after practicing, practicing, and practicing some more, I was able to get my first deer ever this past weekend. She was the third deer I saw that evening. The first was a small doe that came in with a group of about 8 or 9 turkeys. They totally surprised me as I was standing to stretch my legs a bit. I saw the turkeys first and was contemplating taking one when I looked further into the thicket and saw the young doe standing there. I watched her for a good 5 minutes before I finally moved too much and spooked her.
The next one to come in came from directly behind me about an hour after the first. This one was a small spike. I turned in my stand after hearing what I thought was another squirrel to see the spike looking straight at me. I eased myself back behind the tree and slowly grabbed my bow. I turned again to watch the spike. He slowly moved out to my right side. When he passed behind some trees, I carefully stood and turned to face him. I began to raise my bow, when I saw motion a short distance to the left. I looked and saw the mature doe headed in from the opposite direction. She took a few steps and stopped perfectly broadside, framed between two trees. I could see from just in front of her shoulder to just in front of her tail. I drew, checked my flight path, and then lined her up. From here, my practice took over, and I was on auto pilot. I still cannot recall what pin I put on her, I don' t remember pulling the release, and I vaguely remember hearing the snap of the bowstring. The next clear memory is seeing her jump 4 feet straight up, kicking her hind legs high, and hitting the ground running alongside the spike.
I calmed myself down enough to call my dad on the radio and tell him I was going to need help tracking her. I climbed down the tree and walked over to look for my arrow. I found the spot she was standing at and was amazed when I looked back at the tree and realized it was a good 40 to 45 yards back to my stand! I began to worry when I couldn' t find my arrow anywhere. I decided to go back and pick up my dad from his stand to help me start looking. We got back to my site and started looking from the place she was standing. Within seconds, I saw the broadhead end of my arrow stuck in the ground, covered in blood. A few feet away was the fletching end, also covered in blood. Now, I was feeling a bit more confident. We started walking down the direction she ran. We totally missed the blood trail going off to the left. We doubled back and soon my dad found her less than 50 yards from the initial shot. Upon inspection, she had a clean shot through the heart and at least one lung.

My equipment:
PSE Nova, at 63#, 29 inch draw, Whisker biscuit.
Beaman ICS Hunter 400' s, with Thunderhead 100' s.
API Grand Slam Super Mag Supreme stand.

I have to thank my parents for teaching me to hunt and fish. To have my dad there when I got my first deer means the world to me! Thanks Dad!!

A bit about myself as well: I am about to turn 34 in about a week. I first picked up a bow last fall, and started working hard to get good enough that I would be comfortable in the woods. I have a 9 year old daughter who decided this weekend she wants to learn to hunt as well. Life is good!!

Now, if I could just get the photo to show up!!

gh

Old 10-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time --- Thanks Dad!!

You' ll always remember you first - I think its great your Dad was there.

Congratulations - Hopefully the first of many.

(nice shot - I' ll bet you practiced a good bit)
Old 10-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Awesome hunt.........congratulations!!! . I have a 9 year old boy that is just now starting to shoot his bow. I hope he is like you.......I know your Dad is Proud!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Congratulations on your first deer msnno3. Now that you have your first one under your belt, the pressure will ease up and you can enjoy the hunt.
I' m sure your dad is as proud as a peacock. He will be bragging about you to all his friends and co-workers!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on taking the doe, i bet its a memory you will never forget [8D]
Old 10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations and good job!

Good Luck on the next!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on the deer
Old 10-15-2003, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story! Way to go!
Old 10-15-2003, 04:17 AM

Nice doe and nice shot. Congrats on your first deer.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Congradulations on your deer.
Yes fathers are special, those that take their responibilties seriously. Hunt with him often and enjoy the experiences because there will come a time when that is no longer possible.
I also had a great father, that taught me the ways of the woods. We were good hunting buddies. When he got to old to hunt he was the first one waiting to hear the stories. Now hes gone but his memory lives on. My son and I both had the privledge to hunt beside a great man.
Happy hunting
Dan

Quick Reply: First time --- Thanks Dad!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.