Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speaking of ethical hunters...

Old 10-14-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Speaking of ethical hunters...

I just read the Neck Shot thread. I wanted to reply to it but I see it was locked. It' s too bad so many people jump to the " it is never a good shot" argument without giving any sort of proof other than the target is too small. I' ll decide myself on the size target I need, thank you. But that brings me to a question about ethics, as so many here seem to be quick to judge something they may not be too familiar with.

Question. How many people use,plant,or hunt over food plots? By food plots I mean small sections of food planted for the sole purpose of attracting deer? I know many do as everywhere you look specialized seeds are available for sale. People clear an area,work the soil and plant the crop. Some even have to go so far as to fence off the area so the crop can get started before the deer eat it to death.

What does this have to do with ethics? Simple. We are in a period of over population in most areas, some critically over populated. With a population so high, why would it be necessary to supplement a deers food source? Simple...So we can justify hunting over bait without hunting over bait. Granted a bait pile is different than a plot, but the intended use is the same.

Are we using plots to help give the over populated deer another food source to prevent starvation? If so why spend over ten dollars per pound of specialized seed whan you can get a similar blend for 2-3 dollars per pound that will easily meet nutritional needs for deer?

Why is it less ethical to take a neck shot than it is to artificaly draw deer to a given area so we lazy hunters can score better? Some mentioned the shot was taken in a do or die attitude. Do we hunt food plots for the fun of watching deer,then move our stands into the hardwoods when we feel it is time to harvest a deer? Maybe before we jump down a fellow hunters throat about ethics we should look a little closer at the rest of our practices.

Lock this thread if your threatoned by it. It is not meant to generate an argument,but rather to bring on another perspective.

I edited this post so the actual questions can be discussed without the interuption of a taboo subject!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Speaking of ethical hunters...

Do you realize your talking about gun hunting in the bowhunting section. Big difference don' t you think?

Why are you trying to stir the pot again?
Old 10-14-2003, 06:23 PM

I never hunted food plots nor did i ever plant anything for the deer to eat, so I' ll be the first to say no I dont. If you feel comfortable shooting a deer in the neck go for it I know a few hunter that do this all the time. I myself am guilty of spine shots just because where I hunt is on public ground and if I dont drop him there I dont tag it. To many hunters around. Another reason I dont plant for deer.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:27 PM

Opps we are in bow section[:-],,, scratch that idea about spine and neck shot... no I would never do it with bow.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:31 PM

Yes I realize this is a bowhunting section,but as the thread before indicated it didn' t matter the weapon. That being said the main focus of this thread is the " ethics" of hunting. Specifically I am referring to food plots. Those are associated with both types of hunting,bow and gun.
I myself am guilty of spine shots just because where I hunt is on public ground and if I dont drop him there I dont tag it.

You say your guilty here...Of what? Making a quick clean kill? I don' t get it...
Charlie,as for stirring the pot. Is this a discussion board or a " I agree board" ? I also own a disussion board. If every member were expected to agree and never discuss controversial topics I' d have no traffic at all. Things such as this are able to be discussed in an adult manner. If this is not a discussion board,but rather a bunch of guys patting each other on the back agreeing with everything tell me now as I' ll have no part of that type of cult.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I actually didn' t read all your post, without using paragraphs it' s hard to follow.

For not trying tyo start a another neck shot thread you sure do mention it alot.

I don' t agree with alot of people here just check out the politics board.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:27 PM

As for my reply to the neck shot thread. I have never killed a deer with my bow. When the situation is right I will. Will I shoot for the neck? If the situation is right yes.
Many of the guys who are against the neck shot have been around the block many times (with bow in hand), have shot many deer and offer it up as good advise to those who are not experienced - Like yourself. Sometimes tempers flare and the point is lost.

My experience and knowledge of bowhunting convinces me that the bow neck shot is a poor shot. Thats the only point I want to get across - you can do what you wish.

I wish you luck
Old 10-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point WiGutPile. You have some very solid ideas.

As for the rest....let' s start the blah blah blah.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:17 PM

Let me understand this. Are you saying you feel food plots to be unethical?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:20 PM

So I didn' t make paragraphs, sorry. Is that a requirment here too?

Moderator, please remove any mention I have made about neck shots so that people can actually discuss a thread that can be fully read.

Funny how those responding against my opinions fail to talk about food plots.
I am by no means an expert bowhunter...Few here are! But I am far from a novice either. If killing deer is a means of ranks, some have misguided reason to hunt. I hunt out of enjoyment, recreation, and respect for the pursuit.

But I also ask a very fair question. Why are some people' s ethics " more ethical" than others? Who made up the ethics list and what makes them right? I feel these are fair questions that should be discussed.

I simply tried to show my own experience as an example above,yet it was taken as argumentative, off subject, grammatically incorrect, and spoken out of inexperience. That is why I asked to have my post edited.

Quick Reply: Speaking of ethical hunters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.