Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

honestly do you obey the sunrise sunset laws in your state

Old 10-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default honestly do you obey the sunrise sunset laws in your state

im in new york its sunrise to sunset, which everyday has different exact time, like tomorrow its 7;08 am to 6;13pm and its illegal to have an arrow knocked before or after these times, i know people who hunt till its dead black dark and they got these new sights that light up a red dot, i feel if i can see, i have normal pse glowing type non electric sights, if i can still see good i will still hunt, i mean if i see a buck at 7;07 tomorrow am i really a criminal or what if i shoot it?? there are alot of rules that are stupid, like using a flashlight with only 2 aa batteries is one, i mean if i have a headset that takes 4 and i would never jack a deer w/ lights i mean how am i hurting anyone?? im never gonna shoot at anything thats just moving through the dark like some people, i quess its like anything else a few rotten apples spoil the whole bushel!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: honestly do you obey the sunrise sunset laws in your state

sorry heres a great site to find out your exact times in your area!

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html
Old 10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes. In Ohio it is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset for hunting hours. So it would be a little hard to break the law on that one because the law pretty much allows you to hunt untill you can no longer see your pins.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

wow thats great! i wish ny had that rule! on a bright day on a field edge you have atleast a good 15 minutes left and as you all know the best 15 minutes of the day!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nearly impossible to break the half hour before and after laws for archery in Illinois, but during gun hunting it is half hour before till sundown. Let me tell you I' ve heard tons of shots a few minutes after sunset. That is a tough one to obey. The best time to hunt, you can still see well, and they say you can shoot.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt till I can' t see to shoot...I would never take a shot in the dark though. So I don' t consider myself a bad person.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:27 PM

Indiana is also 1/2 hour before and after so it would be tough to break. Possibly on the field edge you could manage a shot but it would be a poor percentage shot at best. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:49 PM

with these bright pins, you cant make out your target. the pins over-power the target and all you see is pin. this is where an instinctive shooter has an advantage in low-light conditions. here in Ky. its 1/2hr before and after, and you get a sunrise/sunset time table in your annual hunting guide
Old 10-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what they make the laws for,after the dead line
brings a fine,thats the way it is in MO.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:59 PM
New Sheriff

To be honest, I couldn' t tell you when our legal shooting hours are. I start shootin when I can see my pins and stop when it' s too dark to see them anymore

Quick Reply: honestly do you obey the sunrise sunset laws in your state

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.