Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When should i use grunt tubes and rattleing antlers

Old 10-12-2003, 04:27 PM

Default When should i use grunt tubes and rattleing antlers

hi
i am 16 years old and i am wondering when is the best time to use deer calls. I am hunting land that my father has recently purchased and it is all private property, so i dont have to worry bout other hunters, but what is the best time of year to call. I have 8 differnt bucks that i have seen....there may be more. please help me with any advice on how to get one of those bad boys.....
Old 10-14-2003, 05:38 PM

Default RE: When should i use grunt tubes and rattleing antlers

come on people. there has to be hundreds of people out there who have had success with rattleing and useing grunbt tubes. all i want is a little pertisapation from you guys to help guide me in when and when not to use calls. the rut is coming ever closer and i want to be ready with all the knowledge i can.. PLEASE HELP
Old 10-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I could help you out but I have not had any luck rattleing in a buck or using the grunt tube.

I usually start useing them a week before the rut.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:00 PM

I seen two distant bucks yesterday morning - they were too far to shoot but close enough that they would hear rattling or my Primos Estrus Bleat Can. I tried the can first and got no response. Then I waited a couple of minutes and tried rattling too old antlers I found. Those bucks never even looked my way. So apparently it is still too early.....
Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

I' m sure there is someone more qualified to answer you question than me on this site but I will try to help.

I have had good success rattling and using a grunt tube from about 2 weeks before the rut until the rut actually starts. Keep your eyes peeled between rattling sequences because its not uncommon for the buck to try to sneak in.

Once the rut starts I use a doe estrus bleat along with a tending grunt. With this set up I try to make any larger bucks in the area think that another buck has moved in and is trying to breed the does in his area. I also use doe estrus scent and buck sent when calling this way. I hunt the larger bucks so I dont worry much about running off the smaller bucks. If you are looking for any buck I would use the estrus bleat and estrus scent only.

I called in several deer last year and ended up taking a nice 11pt and a nice 8pt. These deer were also called in. One before the rut and one during the rut.

Maybe someone else will chime in a give you some more pointers. I' m not a expert by any means............who knows, maybe I' m just lucky.

Have a great day!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:55 AM

I' m not dodging your question, but it has been more thoroughly discussed over on TR Michels section of this board. Back out from this board to ' All Forums' (in upper left hand corner of this thread beside the orange ' reply' button) and look down the list till you see TR Michels' name. Go into that board and browse through it. There is great info about rattling and calling.

There was also a decent discussion about it on this board about a month ago. Do a search, but make sure you spell it right or you likely will only get your post back from the search. You usually drop the ' e' at the end of words when you add the ' ing' . Rattling. I' m not criticizing your spelling here, just trying to help you find the info you' re after.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:19 AM

Rattling and grunting CAN be affective anytime after the velvet comes off. You will seldom get a buck charging in to one of these calls early in the season though!!

Just keep it short and sweet in the early season and experiment a little. I dought you will run anything out of the woods.

I grunted at a 172" buck, eight times Saturday morning, from 35 yards and he never even raised his head.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

When to grunt or rattle? Do it when you feel like it as long as it isn' t too often. I' ve called in deer with both and a combination of both. I have possibly scared some deer away as well. About the last week of October thru the 2nd week of November seems to work the best for me. I don' t have any special time/sequence that I use, just try to imagine you are a deer. Sometimes the only reason that I rattle or grunt is because I am cold or bored. The activity tends to warm me up and peak my interest a little. I can then sit on the stand a little longer. Staying in the woods longer will help increase your odds of success. Good luck on your new land. Take care of it and enjoy it. You now have a luxury that many of us don' t and may never have. I predict that PA will have some very nice bucks within three years as long as the new antler restriction laws are accepted by the hunters.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:52 AM

I' ve had some good success grunting during the rut, one came busting in so hard I thought I had called in another hunter. The best thing for me was to hear a couple bucks grunting that time of year and duplicate the sound instead of winging it like I used to do. As far as rattling, I' ve really never had any notable success so I can' t help you on that.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:29 AM

Season starts oct. 1 here and I start grunting at bucks immediately if I can see them. You kind of go by thier reaction then. If they stop and look or take a few steps give it to them again in the same tone, if they ignore you give it to them again more aggressive. Once they start coming let them come until they stop or change course.
I will switch to esterious can call and buck tending grunts during rut and have had good success with both. If I have a buck in site I will can bleat at it ( this has worked best) if he ignores it I will bleat again and give some tending grunts this usually at least gets his attention. Then just go with what he seems to like.

Quick Reply: When should i use grunt tubes and rattleing antlers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.