Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

October lull

Old 10-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: October lull

it' s supposed to cool down here in WV for opening week....hopefully we' ll get under the 60 degree weather. i' ve got my fingers crossed.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:16 PM

It looks like deer movement is pretty slow across the board. I only had time to get out three times from Friday-Sunday. Only saw one doe in the distance Friday morning, and a fairly small fork Sunday morning. No movement on Saturday night, but it was a downpour the whole time I sat. I wasn' t going to shoot anything in the rain, but I had to get in the woods if I had the chance.
Hunted a new woods tonight. Hunting about 60 yards from a clear cut leading into an edge of pines along a large, mature chunk of oaks. Looks like it should be a good spot, but nothing moving. Hard to say if it' s the new spot or just the season. Overall though, my last two weeks have been pretty slow.
I' m expecting(hoping actually), that deer movement will pick up a little in the next week, and keep getting better as the season goes on.

peashooter
Old 10-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Feed pattern + Full moon = Less daytime deer sightings

rainy nights help
Old 10-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

No lull here in central Minnesota. The last two weeks , deer all over the place. They' ve been moving alot and getting hit by cars. Yes they are moving at night to. But we' re still seeing alot of morning and evening movments.

Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every year there' s a " October lull" during the full moon phase. There are still plenty of deer to be seen , your just hunting at the wrong time! During the full moon phase the deer feed all night , starting after sunset to roughly an hour before sunrise. The kicker is , try sitting in your stand from about 10:00 am - 2:00 pm , thats when they feed again. I' ve had tons of action during that time with 11:30 am - 12:30 pm being the hottest!
Old 10-14-2003, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

At my " honey hole" , I saw one small buck during an evening/following morning sit. I moved to a new property the next 2 evenings and saw LOTS of deer during the evening.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

I can' t believe all you guys are complaining about hunting. Us Southern zone New Yorkers haven' t even started yet! Wednesday is opening day and they' re calling for 50 MPH winds and rain, so quit your complaining and enjoy your time in the woods! Thank you!
Old 10-14-2003, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad I' m not alone in not seeing deer. I tried that whole 10-2 thing on saturday. NOTHING. I want to blame it on the heat and stuff, but I' ve shot deer before in the heat. Maybe its the moon, and my 10-2 experiment failure was a fluke.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:24 AM

Yeah,We get a little Oct.lull here in MD. too.It' s warm,full moon,and probably that stupid planet thing that R-A is talking about.But hey,it just gives me another reason to get out in the woods more.We got a cold frount coming in tonight,with some rain,so maybe I' ll get out this afternoon and see what happens.Besides that,a three day blackpowder season opens Thursday,so I guess I' ll go out and do some easy hunting with my T-C Encore...Bob
Old 10-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi guys, new to your forums. Not hunting because its the October lull or the moons " not right" may cost you a buck of a life time. I took my best buck last year on Oct. 16 that grossed over 173 typical. I think you shouldn' t talk yourself out of going because of that. I' m pretty sure your odds are better setting in the deer stand than setting on the couch. Its been alittle slow for me also but saw more deer a couple of days ago than I have all year so far. Killed a doe and passed 4 small bucks. Hope everyones luck turns around.

Quick Reply: October lull

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.