Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer with fangs

Old 10-11-2003, 03:29 PM

Default Deer with fangs

Has anyone seen a musk deer? They are from Southeast Asia. These things are an endangered species. I don' t think that they have antlers, but their canines are very long. Sabertooth deer, who would have imagined it? I saved some pictures, but I don' t know how to download them.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer with fangs

Yea I seen pics already. My little kitty has buck teeth and her fangs hang out of her mouth like 2 little tooth picks
Old 10-11-2003, 07:57 PM

might be a cross between a wild boar and a deer neva know that would look funny
Old 10-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I' ve seen them on Discovery chanel or one of the others. Strange looking " deer" for sure. I wonder if they bite back. LOL Imagine if some of the deer , elk and moose having teeth like that and having to have a buddy with a back up gun on your hunt.[]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:04 PM

Many years ago I used to visit a museum in upstate Pa. that housed nothing but animals which one of the local families had taken throughout the world. Don' t know where the family money came from, but they sure knew how to spend it. They had everything you could ever imagine seperated by regions & continents. Rows & rows of game - hundreds of ' em. From cape buffalo to walrus (all full mounts), you name it , they had it. They had a map of the world with pins at every location they hunted. There were very few empty spots. I' ll always remember those fanged deer. They had 2 species, but I have no idea where either is from. This thread got me going back down memory lane. Unfortunately that museums no longer open.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:05 PM

Here' s another type.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 PM

The first deer Lowly Darton posted is a muntjac, and can be hunted in the UK, it was transplanted there last century. The second deer is a Chinese Water deer, and can also be hunted in the UK, in much smaller numbers. Both come from Asia. The musk deer is severely endangered, and I don' t know of anywhere they can be legally hunted. They' re farmed in China for their musk, used in traditional medicine. That' s why they are being pushed to extinction in the wild.
They look similar to the Chinese Water deer.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:56 PM

6ptsika
What are those fangs for? Fighting or digging for food? Those ones on the Muntjac look like they' d just get in the way - not long enough for either.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are they poisonous?[&:]

Quick Reply: Deer with fangs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.