Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

so.... fill me in on this whole rut thing

Old 10-10-2003, 07:44 PM

Default so.... fill me in on this whole rut thing

ive never hunted deer this early, i was always a gun hunter. so now that i will actually be out during the peak of the rut, what can i expect. i mean, is is basically a normal bussiness day as usual with a chance to see maybe a couple (if your lucky) deer running around out of normal charater or is it frikin free for all and the woods are on fire! ill have to tell you, just before rifle season starts, there are frikin dead deer all over the highways out here, mostly doe.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: so.... fill me in on this whole rut thing

Think if you only could get it for a couple weeks out of the year, How hard would you be out looking?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

So if my wife puts on her best perfume I go into rut.

In a deers life the girls put on the perfume about 2 weeks out of the year. Mid November around here.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

It can be both, there are times during the runt when youll see 10-20 bucks, and other times when the deer act like they would during the beginning of october. just looking for food. The second weekend of november is usually pretty hunt. Dont forget about the 3 different phases of the runt: seeking, chasing and breeding. I love to hunt the seeking phase, especially if your hunting an area with lots of does.