Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If a deer blows at you?

Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 PM

Default RE: If a deer blows at you?

because u stink!!!!!!!!1 wash your behind hahahahahaha. i hate when thats happerns ....

big al bowmansville ny wny
Old 10-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny this threads started today. I was getting down out of my treestand about a half hour ago. After I detached it from the tree I proceeded to pack it up and gather my belongings. No sooner do I sling my climber onto my back I hear a snort. Sure enough I turn around and there is a doe giving me the evil eye at about 8 yards ! [] Thank god she was upwind. She stood there for about 10 sec and then gave me the white flag. She retreated about 20 yards and then stopped again to look back. I stood there motionless. She kept snorting over and over probably 50 times while stomping her foot. Finally after what seemed like 10 min she turned, put her head down and wandered away at a casual pace. Hopefully the next time I see here she' ll be in my sights.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over many years of deer hunting I can honestly say that I' ve never wittnessed a buck blowing at me. All of the deer that I' ve actually seen blowing at me were does. If a buck senses that something just aint right he' s gone!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:39 PM

I completely agree with BOWFANATIC. Never had a buck blow at me. Does on the other hand, oh yeah. And he said it was a good buck " he believes" . This reminds me of a buddy of mine. Every deer noise, print, dropping, sighting is a pretty good buck. Man, does make some big noise and leave some big tracks sometimes.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

If it was a doe or buck , understand why they blow.... Deer see or possibly smell something that is cause for alarm, most often they are not sure of what they have seen, heard or smelled. The actual " blow" a high pitched weeze sound is a deer clearing its nasal passages, they are constantly smelling and gathering " info" through smell, when alarmed they will blow hard to excuse all smells from the nasal passages to gather new smells to indentify their reason for alarm. once that smell is gone they will likely return to check what was there that alarmed them. Keeping the area scent free will NOT give them a reason to change their pattern.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is funny how every little sign, whether it be a rub, scrape, track, manure, hair on the fence, snort, or whatever is a monster buck.

On the other hand I have witnessed bucks snort on more than one occasion. Three days ago I witnessed a buck snorting only 12 yards from my stand. I could have arrowed him a number of times before and after his little tantrum but he was only a small six.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:30 PM

I don' t like it when it happens, but it wouldn' t keep me from hunting that deer, or area again. Give it 3 days or better to settle down if possible. Hunt a different tree in the same general area, make sure the wind is right, and be as scent free and quiet as possible. If he was only alerted once, he might come back(probably will unless he' s a very wise 4 1/2+ year old buck). If alerted once, and he smells a human there again, he might get a little spooky of that area.
He' s not gone for certain, but being careful is very important now.

peashooter
Old 10-11-2003, 06:57 AM

There was an article I remember reading years ago, I think in Deer & Deer Hunting mag, that when a deer stomps it' s foot, it is releasing a scent from it' s hoof that acts as an alarm/warning for other deer.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:19 AM

yea it should be alright to go back and hunt the same spot
Old 10-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

MikeE51848
There was an article I remember reading years ago, I think in Deer & Deer Hunting mag, that when a deer stomps it' s foot, it is releasing a scent from it' s hoof that acts as an alarm/warning for other deer.
There is some truth to that statement, Deer have an interdigital gland between their hooves, it does release scent, that along with urine they step in is how deer easily follow each other on the same trails reguardless of wind direction. I have seen deer act abnormal when coming to a spot where a deer has stomped earlier in the morning or day, They seem to act with much more caution when approaching those areas. I would imagine that more scent is released when they do this but as of yet have not seen any data to back that up. It may be out there, I just have not seen it. TR may have some info on this also, may be a good question to post in his forum.