Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hitting forearm while shooting? please help!

Old 10-10-2003, 10:40 AM

Default Hitting forearm while shooting? please help!

Thought I would take a few practice shots today and I am hitting my forearm with the string every time I shoot.[:@] I have never done this before and cant seem to quit doing it now. I wouldn' t woory but its affecting my accuracy somewhat. Suggestions please, I,m going to the woods tonite and my forearm can' t take this abuse much longer.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hitting forearm while shooting? please help!

Man I am not sure what you are doing different, but you have subconsicially (sp) changed your form! Take your time and make sure you are gripping your bow correctly, you are anchoring in the same spot, and your bow arm is right. The whole problem is form.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Usually when someone is hitting their arm it' s an indication that 1, the draw length is too long and 2, form.

If your just starting this now, sounds like it' s a form problem....the best advice I can give is reavaluate your form or have a friend watch you as you shoot, it could simply be stance, open it up a smidge.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shorten your draw.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:23 AM

Working hard on it. Just kind of ticking it lightly now but OWWWIIIEEE!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Taz.... Somehow your positioning got changed. Is your wrist on your bow hand bend slightly or is it straight? I remember the one time my form wasn' t right and I didn' t realize it. Thwaaaaack!!!! My right hand forearm (I' m a lefty shooter) got a nice 4" strawberry going down it! [] I learned very quickly not to do that again!

Butch
Old 10-10-2003, 12:24 PM

Read this off the tech forum. It may help

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
Old 10-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started the exact same thing a couple months ago. I always just knicked my forearm. There is a very easy way to fix this. Take your left hand and stick it straight our make sure it is perpindicular to the ground. Turn it about 25 degrees to the right you should grip your bow like this and it will move your forearm away from the bow string. If you are a lefty switch the lefts and rights around.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:43 PM

Another trick that worked for me, was not to extend my arm to where it is close to or locks out, but keep it bent at about a 15 deg angle. This kept the meat of my forearm further away from the string and actually makes it easier to hold longer.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:36 PM

this is what i found out i was doing at one time--when i drew back my release arm was not straight back,it was of to the side a little when i released causing my bow to torque with the string hitting my arm.just something to think about if you feel your bow hand is consistant.

Quick Reply: Hitting forearm while shooting? please help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.