Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hitting forearm while shooting? please help!

Old 10-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hitting forearm while shooting? please help!

I' ve had the same problem since going to a D-Loop and a different release. This changed my draw length and anchor point. I' m also going to have to change something to prevent arm slap.[:' (]
I shot a doe last weekend while wearing a wrist guard. Well when the string hit the guard it sounded like a 22 going off. I did get the deer though. Just didn' t like the sound.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:06 PM

Alot of the time is your grip on the bow, and the draw leagth. You want to be on the meaty part of you thumb. Not over the life line. That is too deep. Also with the loop thing, You very well might have to shorten your draw about 1/2- 3/4" . It is always better to be alittle short the too long.

James D.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

A couple people have mentioned it but you folks with this problem seem to think you can alter your form to make it work. Your shot, grip, and form for the most part should be natural. If you' re having to go through all kinds of gyrations to get off a shot.... it' ll never happen automatically in a tree when you need it to. The basic problem with 99 percent of the people that have this problem is DRAW LENGTH. Someone mentioned adding a loop. This can change your drawlength. You either have to shorten it or your release or something. Most of you probably have bows with a wall or draw stop. IF you have to straighten your arm and lock your elbow to get there... it' s to long. You shouldn' t have to turn so your arm and shoulders are parallel to the line of the target. Your body should be at an angel. It' s draw length ---draw length-- draw length. I don' t care if you' ve always had this length draw. Heck, I shot the wrong draw length for 30 years until Len got a hold of me. It was odd to change but in no time it was all natural.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:09 AM

I didn' t hit my arm today with a brand new bow. Although I was reminded to keep my left elbow bent, for that very reason. They also said if I was so worried about it to open up that way my body position was still good but i didn' t have to worry about the string.....so check form and don' t wrap the bow around your chest.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you, by chance, think to check the brace height and axle to axle length on your bow before getting all flustered? Your bow' s rigging has probably got so much creep in it that it' s all loose, the brace height is lower than it should be and the string is whipping way too far forward on the shot, snapping your wrist when it didn' t do it before.

You probably don' t need to do anything more exotic than twisting up your string and cable(s) and getting things back to spec.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey... what does an old " Stickbow" shooter know about compounds. He could be right too.[]
Old 10-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

davidmil, this old stickbow shooter has been swapping back and forth between wheels and sticks for the past 25 years. I' ve accidently learned a thing or two in that time.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I never would have guessed.