Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Arrows with Deploying Blades inside the Arrow

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
Interesting idea, here's my initial thoughts:
- With enough "oomph" behind it, devastating on the animal
- Looks like the shaft isn't round where the blades are, doesn't that mess with the aerodynamics of the arrow
- Arrow length, can't cut off the front end and cutting off the back means new nock inserts, so how do you deal with people wanting different length arrows?
- Is the leading fixed blade head attached or can I take it off and use whatever head I want? If so, I could put a rage, or other mechanical on the front and effectively have a double mechanical?

Someone said illegal in their state. I'd have to check my states rules, but curious what's in the rules that makes it illegal.

Basically you've taken the advantages of a fixed blade and POSSIBLE made them do more damage for more blood, which is good.

You've taken the advantages of a mechanical and wiped them out by putting a fixed blade on the front.
Not really, They have taken a fixed head that already had plenty of cut to kill a deer no problem and added the potential for penetration problems.

Then on the other hand they have also taken a big mechanical which is already robbing peter(penetration) to pay paul(cutting surface) and added a fixed head that will only serve to increase the penetration problem that already exist.

That is my opinion anyway. They have taken an already problematic mechanical broad head and made it even worse.

I mean what is the point? If your already going to send 2" blades through a deer what purpose does it serve to send smaller blades through first except to slow your arrow down and assure your arrow will not get through the shoulder?

I assure you my little old fixed head passing through the shoulders will leave a much better blood trail than that thing will without a pass through. From an elevated position the exit wound is paramount and that thing does nothing but make a pass through less likely.

Last edited by rockport; 10-23-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Im not sure I have enough arrow past my rest at full draw to keep the mechanical off my rest
Old 10-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
Im not sure I have enough arrow past my rest at full draw to keep the mechanical off my rest
I believe the arrow and mechanical are one piece.

That does bring up another good point though. If your going to go this route why not just make a head with extra blades? Which has already been done(I think I just answered my own question)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I don't understand how it is logical to sacrifice penetration by adding overkill cutting surface.

Penetration is far more important than cutting surface but yet the industry keeps heading in the opposite direction.

Just looks cooler I guess.

It seems like it would be far more productive to design a head that would pass through shoulder blades( you know the bones designed to protect the vitals) not the opposite.

There is really only one problem in the vitals of a deer and that is bone and for some reason the industry keeps making broadheads less and less likely to defeat that problem.
I use a Steelforce Phathead 125gr TT steel BH with a Easton FMJ arrow for the Bone problem.

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Talk is cheap, everyone thinks they have a better mouse trap. Words do little, demonstrations and evidence of superiority do more. We have probably reached the end of the line on better mouse traps and have arrive at a better hunter trap.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
I use a Steelforce Phathead 125gr TT steel BH with a Easton FMJ arrow for the Bone problem.

Hatchet Jack
Good choice.....every lost a deer because of those?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice.....every lost a deer because of those?
Will not answer this ? on the grounds that I don't want to jinx's myself!

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
Will not answer this ? on the grounds that I don't want to jinx's myself!

Hatchet Jack
I don't think you have to worry about jinxing a chunk of sharpened steel.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you have to worry about jinxing a chunk of sharpened steel.
Yes. Thickest BH on the market, all Steel. Shooting the 125gr Phathead with the FMJ 400 with a 50gr ss outsert from firenock . The arrow weight comes in around 520 grains. It Blows right thru a Deer with no problem. I am getting 270 fps out of my Elite Answer with this arrow BH setup. GREAT BUCK in your avatar rockport.

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 arrows with broadheads for $150 +S&H. Doesn't say anything about arrow spine, just asks for your draw length. Doesn't say anything about arrow weight. Doesn't say anything about compatibility with lighted nocks.$50 per arrow, broadheads included, that may be way too for what I want to shoot, and may be underspined for my rather aggressive bows.

I shoot GT Velocity Pro's at about $11 per shaft, with Rage Chisels or Montec's - another $11 or so on top. Call it another $4 in wraps and fletching.

So you're paying DOUBLE PRICE to get a specialty shaft with integrated blades, that may not be as high grade as your current carbon shafts.

All we're really talking about is a big cut on contact, over-the-top-folding mechanical.

And WTF would you use to practice? I throw a field point on my current shafts, I can practice all year long in a bag target. Is there a weighted practice shaft to go with these? Which naturally increases my adoption cost?

I'm all for innovation, but there's a difference in "creative juices" and bong water...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.