Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally, found buck!

Old 10-10-2003, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Finally, found buck!

I' d have to say that this individual has the potential of being a great bowhunter. I don' t think he needs to be put down for his efforts.
I agree 100%, and I really don' t see anyone including myself putting him down. You are right, It seems he put great effort into finding his deer - and it is a shame it wasn' t found earlier - I am sure he feels that way also. His effort should be appraised.

I am also certain many bowhunters may consider it a legit kill - thats fine - Thats there perogative, and they are intitled to it. And so am I to mine.

I see all good points here and it may very well be a matter of opinion. If you would have told me this story face to face, with him standing there I doupt I would of said a word bad a bout it. But this is cyber space - the jungle

He would be welcome to hunt with me anyday

Old 10-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bobco, I would like to think that we all would be so persistant in his position.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok RACKATTACK, does this qualify. You shoot a deer on Saturday night right at sundown. Wasn' t the best shot in the work. Thought it was probably a single lung
at the time. Decide to let it bed down over night and hopefully bleed out. Go back the next morning, pick up the trail. Track it a few hundred yards only to find the coyotes found it before you did????
Sounds sorta like what Zaft did doesn' t it?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:21 AM

Man, give me a break. He shot it with a bow, Its found, its dead, ITs a BOW KILL.
I suppose if he shot it and came back an hour later to find the coyotes and bears had devoured everything except the antlers ya' ll wouldnt consider that a bow kill.
Its Friday, Im aggravated, i' m going hunting. [:@]
Tealboy, tell your friend " nice bowkill" .
Old 10-10-2003, 08:49 AM

I suppose if he shot it and came back an hour later to find the coyotes and bears had devoured everything except the antlers ya' ll wouldnt consider that a bow kill.
read the replies a bit more
Old 10-10-2003, 11:45 AM
CG

Yeah, it was killed by a bow (or died by the infection the arrow eventually caused) but IMHO if you (or someone else) can' t eat it, what' s the point of claiming it as a bowkill? Pretty sure that by most authorities it would be considered a " find" not a " harvest" .

BUT I do admire your friend for using a tag. That showed a great amount of respect for the animal. With that act, I figure he can live with a clean conscience and he can hunt with me any day.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

I hope the initial poster is not offended by my comments. I think I only addressed the issue of whether you count as a bowkill or not. I wasn' t trying to address any other issues. I' m sure this guy was upset on losing a fine animal. But it happens most of us eventually. I wish the shooter well and simply ask him to consider it as a learning experience.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:29 PM

I figured that somebody would have to mention the Zaft fiasco on this subject. The big difference is that Zaft is not the killer of the deer he is claiming. Wolves and coyotes were. He just happened to have a friendly farmer that found a big deer in his field and Zaft claimed it. Thankfully P&Y had enough sense to know this and had a way to keep it out of their records.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

To all that think it' s a bowkill. You do it in my camp and you' ll get no attaboy. You' ll get a lot of fun poking and flak and teasing... but not much in the way of congratulations.[:-]
Old 11-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Here' s my question...........

Did he after finding the deer 1 1/2 weeks later, tag the deer????????

He is saying it' s a bow kill, he' s claiming it, but did he burn a tag on it???

To say there wasn' t enough there to tag won' t get it.........he recovered the antlers.

If you claim it, tag it...........now, did he or didn' t he????????????

If he indeed tagged the carcass, then he can claim a bow kill.

I went back reread the whole thread.........I see where you say he did tag the carcass, good for him...........

I have went as long as 3 or 4 days looking for a deer I hit but couldn' t find.......he has more patience than I do.

Tell him to keep his head up...............there are more deer and more season to go.

Quick Reply: Finally, found buck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.