Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads for Turkey Hunting

Old 10-08-2003, 01:00 AM

Default Broadheads for Turkey Hunting

What is the best broadhead for turkeys. I haven' t been turkey hunting with a bow and would like to have the best broadhead I can get for turkey. Would a conventional fixed blade do fine or does any one recommend something else?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads for Turkey Hunting

I use the same Muzzy 100gr 4 blades that I use for deer. They kill just fine. I think any broadhead will do the job though.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads for Turkey Hunting

I use NAP Gobbler Getter broadheads. They are specifically designed for use on turkeys. The tip has a blunt head to slow penetration. The problem with arrowing turkeys is sometimes with a complete passthrough the bird is still capable of flying off. The vital area is small, making it difficult to hit, especially broadside. The object of special turkey broadheads is to keep the arrow in the bird to prevent flyoff. They recommend your bow be turned down to around 50lbs of draw.
Turkey season here in NY falls during archery season for deer. So I don' t crank down my bow. I shot 60lb draw. I arrowed a hen last wk, and the Gobbler Getters worked perfect. The arrow stayed in the bird just like its suppose to, and I was able to retrieve the bird easily. I used a Doghouse blind on the edge of a field both deer, and turkeys were using to enter a cornfield. Good Luck arrowing Turkeys!!!