Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally something good happened (Broadhead report)

Old 10-07-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Finally something good happened (Broadhead report)

Well as some of you guys know I have had a few issues with noise on my new Patriot and my frustration level was approaching the red line.

I finally got time to shoot broadheads out of that bow and I will be honest and say I was terrified as to what the results might be. I figured the black cloud that has been following me would surely appear once the blades started flying.

I took about 5 shots with field points at 20 yards just to be sure I was grouping well and my form was good........5 in the X ring.......time to slice up the target

First head I put on was a Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain which I had a 6 pak sent to me by Muzzy because I didn' t like the way the 90 grain 4 blades flew at all last year. Took 10 shots.....8 inside a 3" circle and the other 2 touching the edge. Atlasman is VERY happy at this time

I almost put my bow away and didn' t even shoot the other heads I have.......curiousity won out and I screwed on a Magnus Stinger 100 grain 2 blade..........WOW. Flew like a freaking dart. Not only was I in the 3" circle every time but I was dead center every time......I would have destroyed many arrows had I shot at the same circles.

Now I am looking at the SteelForce 100 grain serated 4 blades and thinking that they have no chance of outperforming the first 2..........and I was right. The Steelforce heads had acceptable accuracy but I just didn' t like the way the arrows were flying........now keep in mind that they had some stiff competition. If the SteelForce heads were the only heads I had I would just tweak a little and they would be fine I am sure.

Now I just have to decide which heads to use....the muzzy or the Stingers. They both flew so well I am EXTREMELY happy and my confidence is sky high right now. If I had to hunt tomorrow it would be the Stingers, I mean they flew BETTER then my field points I think [] and they sunk in the new BLOCK the farthest of any head.

I absolutely can' t wait to get in the woods.

Bravo to the Whisker Biscuit by the way..........this thing is gonna be a great hunting rest IMO. Not an everyday rest for heavy shooters for sure but boy this thing is gonna be great from the stand.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Finally something good happened (Broadhead report)

SteelForce 100 grain serated 4 blades
I' m glad you found some broadheads that are accurate instead of the ones above. Serrated broadheads are a joke and should never be used. They rip instead of cut. Give me a good sharp straight blade any day over any serrated. They' ve been experimenting with serrated broadheads for the past 20 years. They never last very long, then a few years later, they' ll reappear again.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:43 PM

The bleeder blades on the SteelForce heads are solid just to be fair and those things are scarey sharp. I have a hard time believing they would be anything other then lethal......VERY lethal on a whitetail. I bought them because a good friend told me he uses them and has 23 out of 25 passthroughs shooting 55 lbs.

I am sure they are great heads...........but with the way those Stingers were flying there is no way I can leave them at home.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 AM

Danny, I' m sorry I' m going to have to disagree with you. I' ve been shooting the Steelforce BH' s for two seasons now. They' ve taken whitetail, boar, coyote, turkey, and one bear. The penetration is unbelievable. Of the 5 deer taken my farthest tracking job was 60 yds. with the other 4 being under 25 yds. Bone is not a problem either. One doe was quatering away just a little more than I thought and blew right thru the far shoulder blade, that doe went ten yds. The cut to tip design followed by the serrated back half gives great blood trails. The wound does not seal up after passing through. I am very pleased with the performance of these BH' s, I would reccomend them to anyone.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas...glad to hear something is going your way! Magnus are great heads...you won' t be disappointed! With the 2 bade design, IMO it gives you tremendous penetration ability, even if something goes awry and your shot placement isn' t exactly what you desired. On a couple occasions I' ve shot the 125 2 blades through heavy bone, and it just slices and goes on through. Good luck[:-]
Old 10-08-2003, 06:37 AM

Thanks

I can' t even tell ya how relieved I am that I don' t have to strugle with broadheads and flight issues. It happened to me last year and it was hell. I just could not get the 4 blade 90 grain Muzzy heads to fly consistently no matter what I tried. Being very stubborn about it I just kept fighting it and fighting it until I was so agrivated I wanted to scream. Then I missed a 6 pt at 15 yards with them and just threw them in the trash and shot WASP JAK-HAMMERS which I took a nice buck with a few days later...........With all I had gone through just to get my bow where it is now I figured broadheads would be an adventure for sure. Thankfully I was wrong.

Those Stingers are unreal [] and they are not bad on a block target either with just the 2 blade design. The Muzzy' s and SteelForce heads really make a mess on their way back out of the target.

I HIGHLY recommend to anyone out there who has had broadhead issues to grab as many different heads as you can (within reason) and see how they fly come hunting season. I just grabbed them every once in awhile through the year and the money doesn' t make a big deal when it' s not all in one whack........then when you' re ready you can see which heads work best for your setup. Just like finding the bullets your gun " likes" the best.

I have to say that the Muzzy heads 100 grain 3 blade are flying wonderfully as well. A pleasant surprise after my problems last year. I still swear that I must have gotten a bad batch.

100 grain Stinger flying at 270 fps.........my penetration should be very good.

I wonder if my increased speed with the new Patriot has anything to do with the better broadhead flight??
Old 10-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those Stingers are unreal. I found the same thing. My Muzzys flew fine. My Stingers better. Now forget the noise & zip one through a deer.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Those Stingers are unreal. I found the same thing. My Muzzys flew fine. My Stingers better.
Shot some more tonight........holy cow those Stingers seriously shoot better then field points I think. If they perform like I think they will on deer I can see no reason to shoot another head.......if they leave me a nice sloppy blood trail to follow they will be flawless IMO.

Now forget the noise & zip one through a deer.
Already forgotten.......and I plan to as soon as the darn season gets here I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas

BTW just thought I would mention that I shot the SteelForce heads again just for fun today and I turned the head slightly to align it differently with my vanes and they too flew great. I now have 3 different sets of broadheads shooting great........maybe I will go into the woods with a mixed quiver Nah.......Stingers get the nod for starting line up........they are just TOO good

Phil are you shooting the 2 or 4 blade Stingers??

Just wondering.......5 star gave the 4 bladers a great review but I went Nuge style and got the 2

Old 10-09-2003, 07:46 PM

The 2 blade does' nt offer much of a cut ??,Better be right on the money[]
Old 10-09-2003, 08:04 PM

The 2 blade does' nt offer much of a cut ??,Better be right on the money
I realize a 2 blade head will cut less then a 3 blade but do you really think it will make that much of a difference??

Do you have experience with 2 bladers?? Just curious.

Every shot I have ever seen on video with a 2 blade head has shown excellent penetration and plenty of blood. I am confident they will do the job if I do mine. If they don' t leave me the kind of blood trails I am looking for I have 6 Muzzy' s and 3 SteelForce heads in the on deck circle

I haven' t heard anyone say something bad about a Magnus head yet so I' m not too worried.

Hopefully I will let you know how they did in about a week

Quick Reply: Finally something good happened (Broadhead report)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.