Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Good Can a PRO SHOP be?

Old 10-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How Good Can a PRO SHOP be?

Most of you know that Len in Md is my proshop(Macrotech). I used to try and do it all myself and did for decades. Trial and Error and lots of time would get me a few arrows that had to be numbered and sorted and discarded in order to get a quiver full with anywhere from 1 or 2 arrows that were good to great and a couple others that were last resort but acceptable.

So now I just take my bow to Len for tuning and adjustment, have him make my arrows and offer his expertise. His man Tony convinced me last year to abandon my straight fletch for a SLIGHT helical. I' m sure he realizes my skills and form aren' t like Lens and the helical helps. (So does the Muzzy rest) Where I used to sort a dozen arrows and get anywhere from 5-7 that were hunters (but some were better than others) I now can just about pick one and it' s good. Of course there is the occasional head that just sucks and gets trashed..... but for the most part all parts are interchangeable.

I' ve shot a couple deer this year so had to replentish my quiver and arrow box. Lens guy Tony had refletched a bunch of ICS Hunters that years ago would have gone to the junk box or practice box. I just went out and screwed on 9 Thunderheads to get some arrows. Each arrow was shot at 2 or 3 times at 20 and agains a couple times at 30. A short time later I have 9 arrows that are interchangeable. No numbering, no discards, no muss no fuss. I was shooting inch and a quarter stickers at 20 and alll around tight on them at 30.

It is so GOOD to know that you can just grab an arrow and know it' ll do it' s job if you do yours. Yes sir, there' s nothing like a proshop that knows what they' re doing. Len became my hunting partner 3 years ago when I found his shop. I went in to buy a new stand and instead he sold me a bow. I still haven' t got the stand. So how good can a proshop be? Absolutely great. I don' t care what discounts, deals or whatever someone has. I support my proshop. I want him to prosper and do well, I' m selfish like that.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: How Good Can a PRO SHOP be?

You have a great friend in Len and a great pro shop to enjoy David. Unfortunately, that is not always the case in some instances. For example, the nearest pro shop to me will help set me up, but will not examine the shafts for straightness.....I really don' t expect them to do that. I generally go there already knowing what I want, but inevitably this shop tries to tell me what I need.........the reason? They can only carry a certain amount of products and keep their inventory lower that way.....I understand that but..............I know what I want and do not appreciate someone telling me what I need, just because the have certain brands in stock OR have a large amount of a certain brand and need to sell it to lower the inventory of that particular product brand.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

David it appears as though I may have found your equivelant of Len for me in Fredericksburg as far as a pro-shop goes, we may wind up as hunting partners, not sure yet. It started off with him just redoing some arrows for me, well the last time I went to pick up some more arrows he had done for me I also had ordered an arrowrest lock for my bow and I took my bow in just to make sure it would work before I bought it. Well I just bought this bow last year and after he installed the arrow lock (no charge) he checked and tweaked a few other things on my bow, I thought I was shooting pretty good before, but once I resighted my bow after his adjustments my groups really tightened up. This guy is really good and helpful. The shop I bought my bow from seemed to have a clique, he was fine when I bought the bow, but I really felt like the only thing he cared about unless you were part of the clique was your money.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, good for you Tazman. As far as only caring about your money. It' s business, strickly business. Having been a past business owner I got to tell you, that bottom line is always there. If you put in long hours, put up with Government regulations and controls, pay all the taxes, please the landlords, please the employees and don' t end up with a divorce... you still have to worry about the bottom line. Some folks can just hide it better. The guy who' s in it to make friends and keep everyone happy will probably not survive. If the guy can' t make a profit he can' t stay open. Everyone looks at a 30 percent markup and thinks it' s absurd, but when you get through with all the cost above and matching Social Security, and Unemployment insurance etc etc etc.... that 30 percent disappears fast. On top of that, it' s kind of a seasonal business. Just before hunting season they make a ton of money, hopefully..... but it has to provide for the lean months too. SO many places come and go trying to be the cheapest or the nicest guy in town. Some have bad bedside manner and some are just flat out rotten. They will be weeded out by the free market system.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:31 AM

This is why I' ve always thought the bow shop was a more important choice than the brand of bow you choose. The right pro can get just about any current model bow shooting like a dream. Obviously, Len is one of those.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Taz.. I wonder who turned you onto that wonderful pro-shop??? lol I have already talked to him about some of my new toys for next year including a new black powder.. I will probably be ordering a new tree stand with in the next few weeks or so, early christmas gift to myself... I will say he is a wonderful shop to work with on anything and he did an awsome job on my arrows I picked up last week, he did a few little extras for no extra charge!! I for one will support him in anyway I can