Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Almost shot him

Old 10-04-2003, 09:57 AM

Default Almost shot him

After sitting in the steady rain for over 2 hours I had enough and called my brother inlaw to see if he was ready to call it quits too. He said he' d pick me up at the road in 20 minutes. I climbed out of my stand and started up the trail toward the railroad tracks soaking wet and discouraged the first day turned out to be a washout. As I got to the top of the hill I saw a deer turning the corner and I ducked into the bushes. My release was in my pants pocket and my arrows were in my back pack on my back. The small non-typical buck walked within 10 yards of me, looked behind himself and bolted across the trail. He didn' t see me but maybe caught wind of me because the wind was all over the place. I ducked further into the bushes, attached my soaked release and knocked an arrow just as another buck turned the corner. I watched him sniff a leaf and continue towards me as I drew my bow. He stopped 7 yards broadside on the other side of a 4 inch sapling. He was a small 8 point. My mind was telling me not to shoot, but my body leaned to the right and centered the pin behind his shoulder. I paused for a second and he took off the same way the other buck did. I was glad he took off because he probably would of gotten an arrow if he would of stuck around any longer. And now I still have my buck tag to hunt another day and shoot a buck that I REALLY want. I shot my first buck last year, so this is the first buck I ever passed on. Boy is that hard to do!!!! Especially at 7 yards.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Almost shot him

That' s a good way to start off the season. You got some nice ones around your areas to make it easier to pass up the smaller ones. Yes its hard to pass but it does get easier. good luck
Old 10-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

On a positive note atleast you know they' re around you. Maybe next time one of the two will wander within range while you' re in the stand.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:19 PM

I was lucky enough to pass on a second buck this evening also. He is an 11 point, but the same size or smaller than the 8 point I shot last year. I had him at 18 yards. I know there are much bigger buck in the areas I hunted today. I came home tonight with no meat for the freezer, but this has been the best hunting day I' ve ever had. I saw 4 buck total, 3 were legal, 7 doe, of which one was a piebald.