Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone else find it....

Old 10-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone else find it....

The noises in a dark Dallas backalley are creepier than anything I' ve ever heard in the woods when it' s dark.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

There aren' t any boogers going to get you out there. I may be the odd one here. I just love to walk in the woods when it' s dark. Whenever I select a stand site or a tree for future use with my climber, I back myself out picking out landmarks, stumps, skylines etc that will allow me to return in the dark. I try to find downed trees, turn 10 yards past the crotched tree, ditches, odd shaped trees or anything to point me to the next check point. As I go out I keep repeating my check points to that point... stump, triple tree, down log, creek, ditch, open area etc etc. I rarely get screwed up, and if I do I stand where I am until it gets light enough to get back on track or I just pick a tree in the dark if I can be sure it isn' t dead. Then when I come back I just allow plenty of time to slip and sneak as quiet as I can. It' s just too cool. I hold one hand or my bow up to catch the cobwebs[X(] I' m telling you,... it' s almost better than the hunt just slipping around in the dark. If I were in Grizzly country I might feel different... but I' m not. The only place I hunt around bears is in NY and they usually run or you never know they were around. The coyotes up there can get a little testy at times. I usually have a light in my hand if I need it.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes a lil creepy. But once in the stand its all good.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM

I got creeped out after dark, when I was coming down from my stand. The landowner had just finished telling me about some puma/panthers seen on his property. I didn' t really believe him because I' m in TN and he really likes his corn whiskey. Sure enough, one growled really loudly within 50 yds of me in the inky black. I got my flashlight out from then on.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:16 PM

You talk about how creepy it is on stand in the dark! What about us guy' s who still hunt or hunt from sitting at a base of a tree.[]
Old 10-05-2003, 08:19 PM

I get more nervous at night than in the early morning. It is all in my head. I haven' t had to field dress a deer in the dark yet. I am dreading it. I will probably haul it out and gut it with my headlights on, for light.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

I' ve never been freaked out walking in the woods at night, but put me on a city street at night, and I' ll get the creeps.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

HighCountry_BruteForce I am with LittleRhody on this, how in the world would you deal with a ground blind? I hunt from the ground 90% of the time and when you hear something walking within 10-20 feet of you while you are sitting on the ground it will get the imagination going, most of the time it is a coon or possum, I have had deer slide by me in the dark, this is a bit infuriating because it is to dark to see the pins or legally shoot.

David I am like you, I love walking through the woods in the dark, I really feel like part of the forest then.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I get a little creeped out going out to my stand, but once I' m up there I' m alright. That is until I remember that I forgot to shine a light in my stand before I got up there to look for porkies.[]
Old 10-06-2003, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t get spooked when I' m walking in or out. But I don' t think there' s any varmits around Northeast Oklahoma that could do much damage to a guy.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.