Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting old, my elbow is killing me!

Old 10-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Getting old, my elbow is killing me!

First off, it sound like you have tennis elbow, inflamed tendons or whatever you want to call it. I had it once and ignored it. It became painful to make a fist or lift the slightest thing. It finally got to a point where I couldn' t hold a glass in that hand. Ended up having to go through some treatments which included, ultra-sound, heat and ice compresses for an hour 3 times a week. You can help yourself by taking some major doses of motrin(600 milligrams 3 times a day for a week or so. I was then given exercises to do with hand weights to build up the muscles in the area. The consisted of laying your arm on a table with your wrist and and hand off holding the handweight..palm down. Flex the rist down and back up etc etc etc. Finish the exercises with ice pack. It' s not an old thing. I had it 15 or 20 years ago. Wouldn' t you know it, the very next year I developed it in the other arm. Every once in a while I can feel it coming on and 3 or 4 days of Motrin clears it right up.

P.S. If it hurts to take your finger and push the spot around the bone(more so on the junction of the bones) on the outside of your elbow.... that' s what you got. If this is in your bow arm it could also indicate a misfit in the old bow, either draw weight or length... OR... it could mean you' re getting old.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup Taz, getting older day by day by day....can' t do alot of things I use to do, well I can still do them I just might need time for recovery...lol
Old 10-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Sore elbow? From shooting too much? Yeah right Taz You know that can cause blindness don' t you
Old 10-03-2003, 10:28 AM

I had the same thing last year Taz. They called mine " golfing elbow" too many chunks of sod I guess. Bothered the heck out of me last fall. I put the bow and clubs in the closet for a few months last winter and it went away. Knock on wood!!
Old 10-03-2003, 10:43 AM

Taz, I went through the same thing several years ago and got the same advice as Rebel. I did as instructed and it worked for me.
I have since learned through weight training that the way one develops this type of problem and the cause of it reoccurring is unbalanced exercise. Shooting the Bow only works certain muscles and they build strength. The opposing muscle does not develop equally and causes the tension and pulls on the tendon, hence the pain. Maybe once it heals a light workout focused on the area to create a balance will help with the stretching. I worked for this or goat.
Good luck.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:55 AM

Taz,

Sounds like tendonitis to me too. Lot' s of good advice so far. The bad news is...It usually takes a long time to become pain free from this condition. We are not talking about a few days here. More like weeks or (ouch) months. As long as you are shooting it is probably going to continue to bother you. You are in a tough spot for sure. Pretty hard not to be shooting at this time of year. I have been through it too. I shot just a handful of arrows per session when I was going through it and to be honest it didn' t get better until after the season when I made myself take a break until I was pain free. Overuse injuries are quite common amongst us old farts. The best way I know of to avoid the situation goes something like this. Assuming you are pain free. Start by shooting 10 or 12 arrows on the first day. Same the next day or maybe even take the day off. Gradually add the number of arrows you shoot over a period of weeks making sure not to jump it up too quickly. If you take your time and have patience, you will probably avoid another case of " bow elbow" . Good Luck.... 800mg of Ibuprofin twice a day also helps to reduce the inflammation, but you should see a doctor before you go with the meds. Jim
Old 10-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taz, I get elbow pain if I eat too many carbo' s. Something about the acid build up caused by the carbo' s, insulin and all that stuff. I cut back on carbo' s about a year ago and all my joints feel better but one. Didn' t effect the metal one any.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cut back on carbo' s about a year ago and all my joints feel better but one.
Whew!![] I wondered where you were heading with that' n.[&:]

Old 10-03-2003, 12:28 PM

Hey Taz, I' ve had tendonitus in both of my elbows. The only cure is rest. But, you can also get a strap to use so you can hunt without doing more damage to it. It fits on your forearm a couple of inches from your elbow. Don' t make it too tight, but make it snug and it will hold everything in place. It will still be painful if you don' t take a couple of days off. But should be manageable after that so you can hunt. Then after hunting season, wear it until you don' t have any more pain. They are washable and adjustable. You can probably get it at any medical supply store without having to go to a doctor.

Quick Reply: Getting old, my elbow is killing me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.