Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CALLING ALL MONTEC G5 users.......

Old 10-02-2003, 02:39 PM

Default CALLING ALL MONTEC G5 users.......

Hey guys..... is it my lack of sharpening skills or what ? I used to be able to really get an edge on a broadhead....

I have read the posts on here - about the G5 and sharpening it..... I tried the ' Scary Sharp' method with sanpaper glues to a piece of tooling plate... Yes - it is sharp - but not SCARY sharp like I like them..... I have a shockwave Im comparing it to.... I cannot get it near as sharp.... shaving sharp......

ANYONE have some advice ? Does anyone know how to contact the company ?? I tried to find contact info on the website and cant - I was going to call them.....

Tom
Old 10-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CALLING ALL MONTEC G5 users.......

I just got them , they r still in the pack , awaiting their removal saturday morning!!!!! I usually jsut buy new BHs every season , but i might try sharpening these , they r fairly pricey!!!! mine r razor shapr , but they r also brand spankin new, hope u find what ur looking for.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:52 PM

Mine are also new... but not shaving sharp like I want..... I like my heads SHAVING sharp - as in you can take them and shave with them literaly.....

I have tried hard to get these sharp.... they are very sharp now.... but still not RAZOR sharp...... it sounds like others are having the same problem. I emailed the ' Razor Sharp' company - the company that makes sharpening products - they sharpen axes and shave with them... they have a sharpening service and tools so I wanted to see what they say - I asked if they could get them to a true razor edge.... If so... be really nice
Old 10-02-2003, 10:10 PM

I tried the Montec 100 gr head this year with great results. They fly great, sharpen easly, no not scary sharp but they are very sharp after about 5 mins. a head. I took a nice 5x6 bull elk this year in Colorado. The shot was at 25 yards with one of my older bows shooting @ 280 fps and a ACC 3-60 arrow. The bull traveled 15 yards before piling up, love those short trailing jobs. The broadhead buried into a log on the far side of the bull and was in perfect condition after I got it out of the log. A friend of mine was having trouble getting his broadheads to fly good so i loaned him Montec heads and they flew great for him also.

I can' t say enough good things about this head but it will be in my quiver for years to come.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

The montecs will not feel nearly as sharp as the replaceable blade heads. The blades are much thicker than the razor blades and the angle of the edge is much greater than with the razor blades.

If you want to see if they are sharp just push them through a piece of leather or some denim. They don' t feel sharp but they are. Try them next to a muzzy or NAP.

To sharpen them just lay them flat and push foward on a coarse stone to get all of the edges even them move to a fine stone to get the final edge. It' s not hard, there is only one waty to do it.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2003, 07:04 AM

I worked very hard on mine last night using the ' Scray Sharp' method - with 600, 1500, 2000 grit paper glued with craft spray glue to a piece of aluminum tooling plate ( very flat) I then stropped them on the back of a leather belt..... I got them very sharp - but still not shaving sharp... I am still going to use them - I have never had a broadhead (fixed) that flew as well as thses heads.......

Im going to keep working on sharpening ideas as i think this broadhead is the best thing going simply because it flies great, you can practice with it, then sharpen the same head and go hunting......