Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CRAZY?? MIND BOGGLING??? INSANE???

Old 10-02-2003, 10:48 AM

Default CRAZY?? MIND BOGGLING??? INSANE???

That describes my best friends bow in a nutshell

He bought a 2003 BowTech Extreme VFT this year (set at 28" draw and 63#) Well, the thing was a tack-driver. He got it tuned up, and was finished paper-tuning and group tuning within 15 minutes. This thing was just crazy. He had it for awhile and was DRILLING the target every single shot. It seemed like he just couldn' t miss. He was originally shooting 27-1/2" Easton Carbon Excels. They had Easton Super-nocks, and 4" Dura-Vanes at 4 degree offset. He was just drilling them in there out to 45 yards. He probablly had 8-10 robinhoods this year with this bow. Well, he bought new arrows, 27-1/2 Gold Tip Camo Hunters (with Lock-Nocks and supposidly 4 degree offset. Well, they were shooting awsome. Any ranger he was hitting the 1-1/2" bullseye. Well, about a week and a half ago, he put on his broadheads, 100 grain N.A.P. Thunderheads) and they were EXACTLY like field-points. He was still getting his 1-1/2" groups at all distances, he was just cutting vanes off the arrows constantly. There was no difference in impact between his field points and b-heads.

Well, two days ago, he took the bow out to shoot and his field points were hitting 6" high and 4" to the left. He was puzzled. The day before it was perfect, and it wasn' t bumped around at all. It was out of nowhere. Well, yesterday he brought it to my house to see if I could figure anything out. I told him that it had to be his sight because everything was locked down and nothng had been bumped. We set it up for the field points and I had him shoot a broadhead. It was 4" low and 8" to the left. Something had went out of whack with a tuning issue. I figured that if it was just a sight issue, then, his t-heads and field points should have just hit in the same spot like before.

Well, we decided to call John (the guy who tunes our bows). He said " bring it down now and well fix it. Well, we took it down and he looked at it.

First thing that he noticed was that the place where my friend bought his bow had put his Simms Virgin Teflon Cable slide on wrong. The cables crossed above the cable guard rod. Not only that, but, the slide was turned the right way. Well, considering how the bow had been shooting great before that, he decided to just let it be and see what else was wrong (he told us that the Muzzy Zero Effect rest has the cables cross above the Cable guard rod on the VFT models). Well, he then checked the nock point. It hadn' t moved. It was set at 1/8" high which is where it was before. Next thing we did was shoot through paper. My best friends Easton Carbon Excels were punching perfect holes while his Gold-Tip Camo Hunters we hitting nock high. Well, we then checked for fletch contact. The Eastons Carbon Excels had contact on one of the prongs on his N.A.P. Quick-tune 3000 Micro. The Gold-Tips had contact on each of the prongs. Well, we adjusted the prongs on the rest to open up a little more and allow for a little move fletching. Well, then we adjusted the nocks on the Eastons and there was no more fletch contact on those arrows. Then we shot through paper and they hit nock high. We adjusted the nock and shot it again and got perfect arrow flight. (The Gold-Tip my friend bought have around a 6 degree helical when it was supposed to be 4 degree off-set, plus, the Lock Nocks are REALLY tight and they snap onto the string very tightly). My friend decided to stick with the Eastons for this season, and after season, we are taking his Gold-Tips down to John so he can put Easton Super Nocks on them and get them re-fletched with 3 degree offset).

Well, we went outside to shoot and his bow was flinging field points right in there again. He then put on his Thunderheads. 15 yards, they were hitting about 4 inches to the right. 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 yards, they were dead on. That was puzzling in itself. We just couldn' t figure out why they would be off at 15 yards and perfect the rest of the way. Well, somehow, I noticed that his 15 yard pin sits further out than the rest of his pins. He tightened it down a tiny bit more and it was perfect again.

So, what went wrong with the bow?

Well, John thought that the Gold Tips shot bad due to the fletch contact. But, then we told him how two days before that, they were shooting absolutely perfect. That puzzled him as nothing else had changed.

So, we can' t figure out what caused the Gold Tips to shoot bad one day, and the day before they were perfect. We didn' t adjust anything, so, they had to have been shooting great with fletch contact considering it was never adjusted for that.

Well, my friend is going to fine-tune his sighting in today and everything will be fine okay. Just thought that it was weird and maybe some of you guys have any ideas.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CRAZY?? MIND BOGGLING??? INSANE???

Maybe he was being inconsistent with his grip and/or form. Just an off day probably.