Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This years favorite stands

Old 10-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default This years favorite stands

I have three I can' t wait to sit in. One I' ve hunted for 3-4 years, the other two, brand new.

#1 is in a travel corridor, used by bucks during the rut to cross from a creek bottom up to a ridge. Always a big scrape located here, I' ve never sat this stand and NOT seen deer. One of the largest bucks I' ve ever seen live was in this draw. Just a matter of time before a big boy comes by at the wrong time, hopefully this year

#2 is new, property was logged this summer, equipment turning around in a very dense thicket created a 3/4 acre opening, with one lone cedar left standing in the middle. We put in a plot, coming up very nice, trimmed out some branches and hung a stand. Perfectly secluded in the tree, can shoot the entire plot.

#3 Logging activities created a road to access a very steep ridge. Deer are now using it like a fricking highway. Tracks galore, should be great when things get moving.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:35 AM

Default RE: This years favorite stands

Range,
Sounds like you' ve got some pretty nice places picked out. But since you can' t hunt all 3 at the same time, maybe I should make the trip down & help you out.

I have 4 spots that I can' t wait to get into this year.

#1 is my old standby. I hunt mostly on the sod farm where I live. It' s all pretty flat and pretty open but there are a few fingers of wooded area that run out into the fields along some of the drainage ditches. These act as perfect funnels for the deer crossing our place between their bedding and feeding areas. My favorite stand is in one of these fingers. The wind is nearly always perfect, and I see deer 90% of the time I' m there.

#2 is a new location, directly across the field from #1. The tree line is the property line so there isn' t really much room to set up. But the deer usually come out of that tree line, work a few scrapes & lick a few branches on the edge of the field before heading toward stand #1. This year I' m going to set up in a natural ground blind right in the tree line on the up wind side of where they usually come out.

#3 is near a 2 acre corner of the property that doesn' t get farmed. It' s cut off from the rest of our farm by a steep bank & a creek. This corner of the property is all open, surrounded by wood lots on 2 sides and the tree lined steep bank/creek on the 3rd side. We always see a lot of deer activity around there but haven' t hunted it yet. The wind is really tricky in this location but if I can catch it just right, I' ve got a tree picked out that should work real well. I' ve seen a lot of deer & turkey in there lately. I can see it from the back door so I keep a close eye on it.

#4 is a property that I just got permission to hunt on yesterday. I obviously haven' t had time to scout it but I helped do the property survey there a few years ago and we saw deer & sign galore. Having spent 4 days walking all over the property, I have some pretty good ideas of places to try. I' ll be going in there blind without a specific site picked out, but sometimes those are the most successful hunts. This property hasn' t been hunted in at least 30 years so I' m looking forward to getting out there.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeep, the grass is always greener, especially on a Sod farm... I wanna hunt YOUR spots
Old 10-02-2003, 02:59 PM

Gee Range, I guess no one else has any stands set up yet. It' s getting awfully close to opening day. I was looking forward to reading some replies so that I could maybe pick up some ideas on new ways to hunt some of my old spots.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:18 PM

Me and my buddy have 4 stands set up this year. The first is an old standby located in some pines wth fields on three sides. This is absolutely a horrible place to sit for the first three weeks of the season. I see very few deer. But then all of a sudden, it' s like a light switch. As soon as the bucks start prowling around you can bet on some action. The year before last I saw 5 bucks before 9:30 one morning from this stand. They just cruise for does through the heavy cover. Really nice spot from the end of October on. This stand has been used for the last 8 years or so. As long as that tree is there it will have a stand attached to it. The second stand is located in a swampy area with lots of tangles and very few trees to get into. This place is always loaded with rubs and scrapes. We put the stand in the spring before last. It' s so thick, we basically " made a spot" . We had to do so much trimming and clearing it was ridiculous to make this work. The tree is only about 6" across so it swayed in the wind a lot last year. I only hunted this stand two times last season because it was so uncomfortable, but I saw a buck both times I hunted there. This year we relocated the stand about 5 feet away onto a better tree. I have high hopes. As far as thee other two stands........I' m sick of typing and you all are probably sick of reading my post so I' ll just leave it at that. If this thread goes anywhere, I' ll contribute more...
Old 10-02-2003, 03:34 PM

My fixed stand set-ups sound like this:

1. The first set up is what I call my " swag" theory stand. The theory goes, we' re talking big woods here, 4,000 acres, the property is really thick with open swags or bottoms running through it that are probably 50yds wide with thick ridges on both sides. Most of the swags are very open with very little underbrush, but every once in a while there will an extremely thick funnel if you will crossing the swag. The deer will go way out of their way to cross the swags in this thicker place. No rocket science, but a great deep woods funnel technique. Saw seven 120 class and up bucks in this stand last season.

2. Extremely thick bedding with my stand set up between to cane breaks, I had to cut about 30 trees down just to have a 20yd shot. Great trails leading from one cane break to another. First year to hunt.

3. Another cane break stand on a thick ridge leading into the cane break. In case you haven' t figured it out yet, deer in my area love cane breaks. My brother-in-law killed a nice 130 class buck from this stand. Great morning stand.

4. Thick ridge probably half a mile from corn field, deer leaving the field tend to follow this ridge to their day time feeding areas. Lots of buck sightings, no kills from this stand yet.

Lots of other places where I use my climber.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:41 AM

Whats wrong with you guys??? This has the potential to be a great post. This is some serious nuts and bolts type stuff that we can all benefit from. Any new bowhunters could gain a lot of insight from a post like this. I guess we should just post a bunch of pictures and pat each other on the back for a job well done. The pictures are nice, don' t get me wrong, but way boring compared to actual information as to how each of us hunts. More than one way to skin a cat and all that jazz. Come on guys...............
Old 10-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Here goes for my Jersey hotspot.

Stand is on a slight ridge loaded w/oaks and some cedars. The ridge is elevated above a windy stream and some swampy bottom land. The other side is a stone wall and then a horse trail. The spot is situated in a corner of 3 hunting clubs and the pheasant hunters get the deer always move through the stand site. Before that, the deer use it as a corridor to run between some corn fields and bedding areas. Always lots of scrapes and rubs!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple stands......

1.) A Loc On stand that is hanging about 17 foot up in a small oak tree about half way down a rideling point. Lots of standing oaks, and some brush in several spots surrounding the stand. I have placed a hanging salt lick that the deer have started using over the past couple weeks. A buddy of mine shot over a nice 11pt. at the begining of last year. Just a overall good stand.

2.) A home made stand that is set up on a long twisting ridgeline. Several differnt crossing grid this ridge. This stand is set between two of the crossings. Next year this stand will have a nice 50yrd by 20yrd food plot planted behind it.

3.) My new stand location for this year. It' s at the corner of our property about 100 yrds from the property line where my neighbors have planted a 175yrd by 40yrd foot plot that has all kinds of standing clover on it. I' ve set up a nice corn feeder just out of site of my stand and the deer have two seperate paths leading between the corn and the food plot. Just great stand placement leading between two seperate food sources.