Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lots of bad firsts

Old 10-02-2003, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lots of bad firsts

This year has seen a number of firsts for me in my bowhunting career--all of them bad. I arrived on Opening morning to my pre-hung stand with-out the 3 bottom steps I had removed so no one else could hunt the--a first for me. I arrived a few days ago AT THE SAME STAND with all of my steps, but no stand--never done that before either. The same day, I went to a favorite afternoon hunting spot which I had meticulously trimmed out over a month ago. I had both my steps and my stand---and the tree had been uprooted by the hurricane!

Another first that took place this past week was watching some numbskull carrying a bow and decked out in camo walk out into the middle of a very short soybean field and sit there waiting for deer to walk past him. Of course, I was on the opposite side of the field about 20 yards in the woods hoping for deer to come past me. He made it worse by occassionally making a predator call (I guess he thought it was a fawn in distress call), he wore no face or hand camo and moved constantly. He even got up at one point about 45 minutes before shooting light ended and walked over to the lower woods edge and then walked back to his spot and started calling again. He finally walked off with about 20-25 minutes of shooting light left.

I guess things can only get better--at least I hope so.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lots of bad firsts

This year has seen a number of firsts for me in my bowhunting career--all of them bad. I arrived on Opening morning to my pre-hung stand with-out the 3 bottom steps I had removed so no one else could hunt the--
I' m sorry but I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard while picturing that one.

I hope it gets better for ya!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dont laugh ,but one year I loaded my self up with all types of equipment headed off in to the dark. Something just didnt seem right. oops forgot my bow!!!!! I had no hands left to carry it.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a Cardeer story to me . Maybe another first will happen for you Dave. Your first 150 class buck with a bow .
Old 10-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL...it' ll get better. Hey at least you weren' t like my buddy. He uses a hip quiver, and last year on opening day he left it at home (2 hrs away). [] It made for a good opening weekend scoouting trip though
Old 10-02-2003, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave are you hunting your own place yet? You got to love folks like the one in the field, they don' t have a clue, but folks like him are the ones during gun season that kill that buck of a lifetime!!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:20 AM

You must be related to my partner. He' d forget his head if it wasn' t attached. We' ve got a lot of good laughs at camp on his account.

Here, I' ll give you an example....

One day he forgot his hoist rope. He climbed up his sticks and hooked a bungie cord to the bottom of his stand, hung his bow and climbed in. After the hunt he hooked the bungie back to the bottom of his stand and also to his bow and let go. The weight of the bow extended the bungie and when the recoil happened it shot his bow about 10 ft above his head just like a sling shot. Now' s where it gets good, he not thinking decided to try and catch the bow. He takes a step forward and is now hanging half off his stand by his safety strap. His feet were still on the platform and he was just leaning forward off the stand with his arms out flapping like a bird. His weight wouldn' t allow him to reposition himself without falling completely off.

He never did catch that bow! It kills me everytime I think about a bungie cord!!!!

Things will get better.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:57 AM

Ok, i think TX wins the stories, i was laughin pretty hard at that one. I can imagine that,
Old 10-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so ya' ll will know, I' m not new to this . . . hunting I mean. I' ve been at this game for more than 20 years and never done any of these things before.

As for the opening morning debacle . . . it was difficult, but through sheer determination and a " do or die" attitude, I did finally manage to get myself up into my treestand. [] It was equally difficult getting back down!

Taz--I' ve hunted my own place a couple times so far, but the patterns are completely changed since the hurricane knocked so many trees down--including my favorite tree (the one I described) where I' ve killed 3 or 4 deer in the last few years. [:' (] I' ll figure it out though.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:24 PM

I can relate. I' ve forgotten bows, arrows, broadheads, releases, pull-up ropes, etc. I' ve even left my boots at camp. You know you' re in a hurry when you jump out the truck and you' ve only got your socks on.

Quick Reply: Lots of bad firsts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.