Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is it time for a new bow?

Old 10-02-2003, 05:59 PM

Default RE: When is it time for a new bow?

I just got back from the bow shop a couple minutes ago. I had to pick up some last minute items. (Light weight gloves) While there I had to check out the new Darton Avalanche Extreme. Did I say I went for last minute items? O.K. I went for the items and to look at the bow. Didn' t tell the wife about the bow part though. I came within a millisecond of plunking down some cash and put the thing on layaway. Somehow I held off. My current bow is a 4 year old Darton Cyclone Deflex and there is nothing wrong with it, but I just got the itch. Know what I mean. I wish I hadn' t picked the Avalanche up at all now. Comfy in the hand, nice smooth draw cycle, good solid wall, 7" + brace height, light weight and it shoots real fast and quiet. I have to have it. My poor wife. She' ll understand right?
Old 10-02-2003, 07:38 PM

This might not matter to you but the New modles will be quieter and smoother in my opion. I still have some 1996-99 model High County bows that I shot and they still kill as good as the new ones but are louder and more have hand shock. Its all in what you want. As far as dual cam, like mentioned before they are coming back unless you like the Darton' s CPS (Most under rated bow on the market) system and the Hoyt' s Cam&1/2 (which I have both ).

James
Old 10-02-2003, 07:59 PM

First. I hate to sound stupid but what is the Alaska PFD?

Kodiak Alaska? Wow you are a lucky dude. I do believe the PA boys have it right. However I just retired my old Golden Eagle for the Bowtech Extreme. Why? The Eagle shot well. It felt good. It was comfortable. Have taken many deer with it and its a proven performer. etc. etc.

It was heavier. It was slow on the fps scale.

When shooting the new bow in the store I fell in love and plunked down the cash saved for the Thompson Encore muzzleloader. Why? It shot good. Felt good. etc. etc.

Now I have a bow shooting in the 300 fps range and generating substantially more KE. On whitetails I haven' t necessarily needed it. But Elk? Mulie? Kodiak Bear? Its nice to know I might be able to.

Just a few thoughts. I say go for it. Oh do you want a new bow?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:05 PM

The Alaska PFD is the permanent fund dividend - each Alaska resident gets paid $XXX each year...this year we get 1100 per person...last year was 1500 or so...it changes each year.

Free money baby!!!

Old 10-03-2003, 03:48 AM

You are right about the CPS system that Darton employs James-d. Not many guys around here are shooting Darton. Not sure why. The adjustibility of the bow is first rate. I was able to tweak mine about an 1/8" at a time until the draw length was perfect. Dead nuts perfect. The best part though are the tuning marks they use on the cam and the wheel. Adjust the string so it lines lines between the marks and thats it. With a quick visual you instantly know if the cams are rolling over in sync. That' s awesome. They also do not use a really long string like on most single cam designs. The thing stays in tune with minimal string stretch. I had a Mathews (no slam here guys) and the darn thing changed all the time. I was constantly messing with it to keep it in tune.