Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what to do to pass the time?

Old 10-01-2003, 10:19 AM

Default what to do to pass the time?

Cardeer a member posted that he like to widdle wood. However I' m in a open tri-pod. What do you guy' s do to pass the time? In my situation, I' m usually holding my bow with the cam resting on my leg ready to shoot. That leave' s one hand free. Sometimes I rest the bow in my lap but only when I' m taking a break.

Let' s hear your ideas that doesn' t require much movement.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:28 AM

Default RE: what to do to pass the time?

I hunt! If I' m sitting on stand, I' m always glassing, watching wildlife, etc.... mid-day lulls if any are a good time to scout a new stand site, spot and stalk.

I can' t see reading a book as some in the past have mentioned, etc. I fell I' ll miss something if I' m not paying attention.

I ususally hunt heavily wooded areas and the deer often appear from nowhere with little or no warning. Might be different if I was hunting a field or place that offered a wider field of vision.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:29 AM

Read a small paper back. With some practice you can turn the pages with one hand most times. I look up and shift my eyes around at the end of each page. Normally, I hear the deer coming before I see them, so I can often ease the book down under my seat before the get within site.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take a nap. lol

J/K

I' m always looking around. You know...hunting.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:46 AM

This past weekend was the first time on a new lease, so I was at attention the whole time I was in the stand. The more comfortable the stand the less I need something to pass the time. Like the last stand I was in on Monday, I was in that thing for almost 6 hours and not once did I need something. But with several other stands, when it starts getting uncomfortable I am going to need something to keep the mind going.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a book of crossword puzzles that I do while I' m on stand. I read the clue and look around while I think of the word and then fill it in. It' s something that you don' t have to get really into, like a book.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:55 AM

I take a little TV with me and a little radio, and when I' m really bored i will watch tv and listen to the radio at the same time. the weird thing is i NEVER see any deer, i wonder what i am doing wrong

No, actually I usually see a lot of deer so i just watch them or if i dont see deer there are always squirrels playing and what not, so i dont really need much to stay occupied
Old 10-01-2003, 12:01 PM

I guess I have to pass the time with nature. I cannot really do much as I' m in an open tri-pod. Sometimes the stand does get slow with not much going on.

Jason
Old 10-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I love to read on the stand.

I have never missed a opportunity at a deer because I was reading. I guess alot of it has to do with the area you hunt. I most always hear a deer before I see it.

I' m usually on stand from 30min before daylight until dark and a good book makes it easy for me to stay there that long.

It' s just what works for me.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:51 PM

Being a good former infantry Marine, when I am on post I am always on alert. You never know when the deer are going to hit your MLR.

Quick Reply: what to do to pass the time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.