Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too light of arrow.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
yup...why do people aim for the shoulders with bow?? busting through the ribs just behind the deers shoulder is best...double lung or heart shot its not going far... look how high the shoulder blade is..
I was not aiming for the shoulder on purpose. It was just the shot that was presented before there was not at a shot at all. I normally aim at the lungs/heart area, just this one time, it did not work out that way. And when you are 27' in a tree, that angle is rather slim at times when they are in close.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I was not aiming for the shoulder on purpose. It was just the shot that was presented before there was not at a shot at all. I normally aim at the lungs/heart area, just this one time, it did not work out that way. And when you are 27' in a tree, that angle is rather slim at times when they are in close.
OK, now for my next question. Why are you that high in the tree? Is it a permanent stand or is there some other reason you place a stand that high?

Not to sound condescending, but you say this was the shot presented so you took it. Only you can really assess this but sometimes the "shot presented" isn't always a good shot. Next time you may decide to pass on the shot hoping for a better one or another day. Just something for you to ponder. You were there and I was not.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still don't aim for the shoulder...
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
OK, now for my next question. Why are you that high in the tree? Is it a permanent stand or is there some other reason you place a stand that high?

Not to sound condescending, but you say this was the shot presented so you took it. Only you can really assess this but sometimes the "shot presented" isn't always a good shot. Next time you may decide to pass on the shot hoping for a better one or another day. Just something for you to ponder. You were there and I was not.
Because thats how high I need to hunt this area. Climber. Many draws and peaks. Lower and I get busted too much.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

All things being equal, a 600 grain arrow has up to about 50% penetration advantage over a 300 grain arrow, a 400 grain arrow has up to about a 17% advantage over a 300 grain arrow. I'm not sure if I consider this a lot or a little. I suppose if it is enought to let me blow through a bone and penetrate a lung it is a lot.