Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

if u know where the big boy beds,whats the strategy???

Old 09-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default if u know where the big boy beds,whats the strategy???

i have a nice 8 pter, hopefully the biggest buck ive gotten, and i know his hide out sweet spot bedding area, whats the strategy,,, a trail heading in?,, right over the bed????,,,, the food plot?? or does it even matter, probably have a better chance of getting him setting a stand somewhere he' s never been?????
Old 09-29-2003, 07:25 PM

Default RE: if u know where the big boy beds,whats the strategy???

1. dont spook him off 2. find out where he feeds and setup half way in between
3. try and get within the scrapes also if you can see scrapes you got a good chance at gettin him 4. DONT GIVE UP stick with him till you get him but as i mentioned in #1 dont spook him
Old 09-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

well....depends on the time of day you think you might be hunting? If in the morning, get the trail heading in, put up a stand. and if at night, depending on what trail he takes heading out, put on there...sounds easy enough, just find a good opening 10-15 yards off the trail, and get a nice spot for a stand. good luck!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:28 PM

What you should and should not do cannot be said any simpler or made any clearer than what " 6pt125lbs" has said.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here' s my advice and I think you' ll like it.....

Hunt between the bedding area and the feeding area, but not heavy. Just do some hunting once in awhile and don' t over hunt the area...then hunt hard durning the pre rut and rut and catch him when he' s being stupid and falling over himself after Does. Then make him [X(]
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 PM

I pretty much agree with the others. Don' t get too close to his bedding area. That can be a very touchy place. If a dandy buck knows your intruding on his bedding area space he' s gone just like that. Stay as far away as you can and still catch him moving durning shooting hours. Hunt along what seem to be his preferred travel routes. Look at rubs and scrapes that might seem to be made by this buck to find those areas. One of the most important things is to only hunt when the wind is perfect, be very stealthy, and stay as scent free as possible. Also, don' t hunt the same spot more than a few days apart. If you hunt every day, and the buck knows it(and he will if you' re in their all the time), he' ll be gone. Another key is to get in and out of your stand sites without spooking other deer.

Basically, don' t let him know that you' re hunting him. If he doesn' t know he' s being hunted, you have a lot better chance to gent him into range. Good luck!

peashooter
Old 09-29-2003, 10:26 PM

Moster sounds like you got yourself a real good spot[:-] need ne help
and another thing if you find any scrape it gets no easer than just by readin the post about scent dripprs i had good success last year with that and mock scrapes it might get you a real " DANDDY" i like that word and also i like " BRUISER"
Old 09-30-2003, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your best strategy is to set up between where he beds and feeds. You know one variable, just find the other, hang a stand, and go to it. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2003, 05:49 AM

Or, turn the tables and go get him...

Biggest buck I ever killed I had found his bedding area, and I put a stand up on an exit trail 100 yards from the bedding area. I waited until a morning after a hard rain, so I could get in without making a sound. I put out tons of James Valley scent, as I knew I would be upwind of the buck the entire time (I' m very careful with my scent).

At 9:00, the biggest buck I' ve ever killed came from the bedding area to the scent, and I got a perfect shot on him.

You couldn' t hunt a stand like this more than a few times, but if a big buck is somewhere that you can pinpoint, go get him.