Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with a crossbow

Old 09-26-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Hunting with a crossbow

Hello everyone, i am new in here and love the site looks like a great place ot get a lot of needed info for hunting. I am a serious hunter but i am just getting into bow hunting. Unfortunetly i was in a serious car accident last month and i cant even pull back my bow, i am able to use a crossbow tho, I cant get up in my tree stand so i will be on the ground so can anyone give me some tips on hunting on the ground, like sent blocks to use and what you might recomend as camo i use any info would be helpful.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting with a crossbow

I wont recommend a camo to you but suggest reading this post, i myself use mossy oak...... http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1 welcome to the hunting.net site and hope you enjoy it here, sorry to hear of your accident!
Old 09-27-2003, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board.I am disabled and use a crossbow. I hunt on the ground. Camo is not to important to me. I where what is cheap. The deer dont see me anyway cause I' m either in a enclosed deer commercial ground blind or make natural brush blinds around downed trees. The only thing they see is the top of my head. I wear a camohead mask.All I use is scent away spray. In the past 4 years I took 14 deer that way. Remember a x-bow is not any better then a compound and 25 yards is usually the max before they drop like a lead balloon. Good luck
Old 09-27-2003, 05:18 AM

I agree with cardeer;I also use a xbow.25 yards is also my max. range.use natural material for a blind and use H.S. Sent-a-way spray and be still and the deer want see or sent you.

welcome to the board and good luck.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve tried a bunch of it and I' m now going to try the military surplus stuff.

I haven' t found any of the commercial stuff that doesn' t fade pretty fast, so why not try the surplus.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try using " Deercaine." That stuff works great.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I was in the same boat for a number of years. I wish you luck.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone a lot of helpful tips and sudjestions. I can already tell im gonna like it here.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:07 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Hello and welcome. Another crossbow hunter here. I don' t spend a boat load on equipment either. I also limit my shots to 30 yds or less. in addition to being no better than a compound bow, most crossbows are VERY loud. you are only likely to get one shot and the animal is heading for the hills. I have read that the Parker crossbows are less loud but that' s a lot of cash so I' ll stick with my horton steel force for a while.
Good luck

David