Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow weight / Arrow speed

Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow weight / Arrow speed

Hi
I'm thinking of increasing my arrow weight from 383grains to 431 grains with heads. I shoot a Diamond Outlaw @ 65 lbs DW (max DW is 70lbs) and have a 27.5 DL with release. Should I increase my poundage to get more speed? I've only been bowhunting for 2 years and a lot of people on this forum have steered me in right direction, thanks to all for helping me.

Thanks
Croc
Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, you said "I increased my arrow weight by 50grns 'with heads'". Does that mean you went up 50grns in heads, or your arrow weight, including the heads, went up 50grns. I'm assuming the latter, so you didn't just totally tank your FOC.

Secondly, you probably won't see a significant change in huntable performance changing between these arrows, i.e. they won't drop SO fast that it feels like a different bow. You WILL have to adjust your sight pins of course.

Finally, the fun part......

What is your current speed? Hard to really say how much you'll lose because of the weight, and what you'll gain by increasing your draw weight without knowing your starting point.

Below I'll put some theoretical math to it based on what I expect out of a Diamond Outlaw, based on a few that I've set up in the last couple of years that are similarly spec'd (draw weight, arrow weight, and DL) to yours. Not hard and fast numbers, but until you offer up your own chrono info, it's the best I have to offer...

I would venture that at 27.5" and 383grns, you're pushing right around 280fps give or take? That puts you right about 67ftlbs. Jumping up to 431grn arrows, you'll drop down about 15fps to 265fps with the same energy. Not a whole lot of difference to be honest.

Then if you increase the poundage from 65lb to 70lb, you'll be pushing right around 73ftlbs, and will speed up to about 275fps with the 431grn arrows. They WILL, of course hit harder, better penetration, more reliable function out of mechanical heads, etc.

So just in terms of raw speed, you'll be giving up 15fps by increasing your arrow weight, and can only get about 10fps of that back by increasing your draw by 5lbs.

IF YOU CAN'T comfortably and consistently draw 70lbs, then getting that extra 10fps won't mean jack squat to you. If you can comfortably handle a 70lb draw, then I'd ask the question, why weren't you shooting 70lbs already? Why was your bow set at 65lbs?

Also consider that if you increase your draw weight, your arrows may not be properly spined anymore and they may not perform as well as they did at 65lbs. Based on your info, I'd assume that you're shooting stiffer than a .400" spine, but that may not be the case?

So shoot back some numbers and I can give you more accurate estimates for your loss/gain.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Nomercy448
Sorry about the mix up with arrow weights. I was saying "total arrow weight including heads were 383g and 431 grains. If I changed arrows to what I want it would increase my arrow weight including head to 431 grains. Second it gets cold towards end of our late season up here, so I was thinking if I hunt with a 65 lb draw It would be no problem to comfortably pull it back in real cold situations. All your calculations are almost exactly what I got. I am using a .350" spine. Will a heavier arrow at 65lbs kill a deer and get a pass through is what I really want to know?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
I am using a .350" spine. Will a heavier arrow at 65lbs kill a deer and get a pass through is what I really want to know?
431grn arrow out of a 65lb bow has essentially all of the potential to pass through that a 431grn arrow at 80lbs would have.

Very similar to your situation, one of the guys I set up an Outlaw for 2 seasons ago went from Beman ICS 400's with 100grn rages to crested GT XT 7595's last season and 125grn Rages, went from 395 to 440grns. Both killed deer, but the heavier/stiffer spine flew considerably better (proper spine for his bow).
Old 08-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.