Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting strategy

Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting strategy

I'm new to bowhunting this year. I have been practicing since February, but this will be my first year taking my bow in the woods for deer hunting. So, my question is what is your strategy going into the early part of bow season? Do you concentrate on taking the big buck or are you going after the does to put meat in the freezer.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to get on you a deer an try to get it in the freezer. Any deer with a bow is a trophy. An plus it is experience that you need.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Spike

Agreed AR the more deer you kill the better. Shoot a target is all well and good but its nothing like the real deal brother believe me.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

I do a little to put at of both. I try least 3 doe's in the freezer during bow season but I also usually have 3 or 4 spots that are buck only spots and I will not shoot a doe in these areas. You do need to just try and get a deer no matter what it is as long as its legal for the experience. I usually shoot my doe's off my food plots and hunt bucks near the bedding areas. Good luck
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Kind of like fishing. I will keep the first few fish, even if they are some pathetic small things, just to get "in the groove" and then things usually improve and I get a little more choosy. As a beginning hunter, you may want to shoot the first deer that gives you a good broadside shot.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

be happy you can take more than one! here its one tag per hunter unless you get an out of state tag $300 ....in which you can get 2...but that's a little costly for me...I say try to get meat in the freezer..
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

We can only take one buck a year, so I like to get a big fat doe early and then hold out for my monster buck.... still waiting on that monster.