Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slide Hammer, impact enhancment

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bigeclipse
I can see how extra momentume/kinetic energy could help people wanting to use mechanicals and are at the bottom needs to use them i.e. everyone says that magic number of 60lbs KE for most mechanicals.
This device will produce a negative effect for mechanicals.

Mechanical broadheads need a STRONG impact to properly force open the blades, which is derived from the momentum exchange of the initial impact (or relatively interchangeably, since both rely upon mass and velocity, Kinetic energy). For an equivalently weighted arrow, the slip hammered arrow would have LESS initial impact because the momentum/KE of the arrow body is lessened.

Consider this: Put a nail in a hard piece of lumber, and strike it twice with an 8oz hammer. The resistance of the wood will withstand both impacts, failing to penetrate. Now, strike the same nail once with a 16oz hammer. The nail will penetrate into the wood. There IS a 'critical mass' for force that must be reached in order to overcome the resistance of the flesh, just as there is a critical force limit for an arrow to open it's blades properly and penetrate skin and flesh.

Ultimately, it's a gimmick that will prey upon those that don't understand simple high school physics. These devices won't penetrate better, not even when impacting bone, and they'll result in more failures to expand for mechanical arrows.

But then again, it's common fact that bullets weigh less when they hit a deer at 1000yrds than they do at the barrel because of the wind erosion in flight, and big fish will weigh less when you get them landed if you let them fight too long because they'll burn off some weight during the fight... If you sail west too far, you'll also drop off of the edge of the world...
Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

While all you say might be true, I tend to remain skeptical of anything that adds moving parts to what is a simple and effective process. Why? Because moving parts can fail in a number of ways.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Mercy I'm glad you jumped in here. Your in depth description of how it would work hits the nail on the head. No pun intended.

The way I look at it I've killed deer just fine with my 8 yr old mathews, Gold tips, and 100gr Muzzys. Why do I need more crap when I'm doing just fine with the basics. Seems we've gotten away from practice makes perfect. As in practice with your darn bow before season. Put the arrow threw the vitals, and call it a day. All this next best thing.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
Why do I need more crap when I'm doing just fine with the basics. Seems we've gotten away from practice makes perfect. As in practice with your darn bow before season. Put the arrow threw the vitals, and call it a day. All this next best thing.
There's a reason people use the adage: "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian". Millions of buffalo (far more difficult to penetrate than your average whitetail) were felled by handmade shafts sporting flint chipped arrowheads flung by long bows strung with sinew.

Sure seems like it should be easier than so many guys make it sound these days...
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Want a REALLY simple knock off version? Drop a hunk of a drill bit inside the shaft of your arrow. Exact same principle.

Better yet, take 2 junk arrows, a standard foam target, and 2 drill bits. Glue one of the drill bits tight at the front end of one arrow behind the ferrule, this will give an equal mass arrow to the slip hammer test, but will simply give a RIGID, non-slip hammering arrow with a HEAVY FOC. The other drill bit, simply insert inside the nock end, letting it slide to the rear before your shot.

Shoot the block. Dollars to doughnuts, your fixed/glued drill bit arrow will out penetrate this BS slip hammer junk.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

And for the record, I will HAPPILY run the impulse energy transfer simulation on paper if so desired to prove this is pure bunk...
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Spike

Hey guys/gals,
I have read all of your posts and have been very entertained. I have to say that I appreciate all of your thoughts and speculation but I have yet to read from anybody who has bought and actually tried the product. I have shot it quite extensively and just so you know, it does work. If you have any doubt about what it does on impact go to the newagearchery facebook page and watch the video of it hitting plyood. No gimmicks. I wouldn't have patented it if it didn't work. That's expensive as you might imagine. I am a little disappointed that you would slam a product you know nothing about and have not tried. And no you can't just dump a piece of steel in your arrow unless you want to: 1. destroy your arrow 2. have the piece rattle around inside your arrow 3. bounce when it hits because it wasn't in the rear when you shot 4. Break your nock because it bounced 5. destroy your tip insert 6. That's just plain stupid. Anyway, it's been entertaining reading your posts.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NAAP
I am a little disappointed that you would slam a product you know nothing about and have not tried.
Welcome to the HNI site, great to see producers at sights like this and have their involvement, nice to have a direct link between hunters and producers.

How about this, want me to change my stance on your product? I'll give you a chance to convince me, and in doing so, many of the others at this site. Send me a dozen slip hammers with nocks and your hardened inserts and I'll do extensive testing of my own on my dime. I'll even get them fired up and on a deer this fall. I'll post the results here and any other site else that I use regularly, if you have a product, it'll speak for itself. If the product stands up, I'll eat my hat, you'll have my independent testing results and testimonial.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 11-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Send me a dozen slip hammers with nocks and your hardened inserts and I'll do extensive testing of my own on my dime. I'll even get them fired up and on a deer this fall.
Bump, been a week and a half, haven't heard back yet... Would love to put your product through its paces and see how it actually performs.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Bump, been a week and a half, haven't heard back yet... Would love to put your product through its paces and see how it actually performs.
Are you surprised?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.