Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Importance of Binoculars?

Old 09-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Importance of Binoculars?

the jury is still out for me. I see some of the valid points many have brought up, but to me its one more piece of crap I have to lug around. I did come across an excellent deal on a very watch deer and other critters I happen to see. I' ll take them bowhunting this year and evaluate my feelings on them.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do at cetain times and places. Otherwise I leave them home. Sometimes I will spot and stalk and that' s a great time to have them. I think I use Binocs more in turkey season than anything.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:38 PM

" Hunters" that dont carry optics while big game hunting are simply LAZY or are' nt seeing half of what is walking by them. The same reason you need optics " out west" is the same reason you need optics while in thick brush here " eastward" ... and that is to see thru the brush and to see more detail. If you are the type to sit in a tree and just wait for something to wander within range you are playing TERRIBLE odds and I seriously doubt your chances of having longterm and sustained success. Just because you sat on a stand and didnt see anything, didnt mean that deer didnt move nearby. It simply means you failed to see them due to a myriad of reasons, most often of which was, " the hunter wasnt looking or paying attention" .

I too grew tired of heavy and combersome binocs while bowhunting so I got a couple of pair of quality " micronocs" . The Zeiss 8x25 and Optolyth 8x25 (The Zeiss a gift, the Optos I purchased). They fit neatly into a shirt pocket and the small " string sized" neckstraps fit under a colar and have NEVER interfered with drawing my bow. I likewise use them while turkey hunting.

For help with a large, fullsized pair of glasses you should REALLY look into a strap system like " BinoSystem" (I love mine!) or " Bino Buddy" and similar " behind the back" setups. They really do work and take ALL the load of a pair of big binocs off the neck. Thereby encouraging you to carry them more often, which can only increase your chance of " finding the best spot to be" !

Stay all day and LOOK DEEP!!!
RA
Old 09-24-2003, 02:02 PM

I got a pair of 8x42 Simmons Camo Binoculars, with the bino system. The Bino system keeps the binoculars close to your chest and out of the way of the bow string. The straps takes all the stress off your neck muscles and eliminates neck fatigue. After a while you don' t even know you wearing them. The 8x42 are featherweight at 22oz. and they are awesome in low light. I can actually see better thru them in low light than I can without them. The roof prism design is the way to go, they are lighter and waterproof/fogproof and usually more expensive than porro prisms. I paid $69 for the Simmons not a bad deal at all.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:27 PM

RedAllison:

If this statement was actually true, and it is not, I have know a lot of very good and very successful " Lazy" hunters.

" Hunters" that dont carry optics while big game hunting are simply LAZY or are' nt seeing half of what is walking by them."
If you have done your scouting and have a good idea of the activity patterns in your area, please explain how not busying yourself with a set of ' nocs to look for [/i]deer that is moving by out of shooting range[/i] is LAZY and causes " terrible odds?"

Why in the world would you want to have your hands on ' nocs and your eyes looking a distance away into the timber or brush to see something you cannot shoot, when your suppose to be ready for something to move into your shooting zones and range. Stand hunting IS sitting and waiting. That is why you are suppose set up in the best location.

Sorry, but your claims and beliefs just do not make sense.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree c903. I must be super lucky to have had the long term sustained success I enjoy, and all of it without binos.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:23 AM

I dont leave home without em, They stay in my truck and are on me at 3-D shoots , indoor shoots, scouting, shed hunting and especially while hunting. I hunt in timber 95 percent of the time and investigate every movement I pick up around me, and its amazing how many deer I spot by doing so, giving me an opportunity to rattle or call. With the bino system they are probably my second most important piece of equipment.