Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

16 point buck rumors... real?

Old 09-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default 16 point buck rumors... real?

I' ve heard rumors of a 16 point typical buck in my area. Has anyone ever really heard of a 16 point typical?? It' s said to still be around and opening day is next wednesday and I' ve had something man-handling my licks, digging up the block with ease day after day, even tho we continue to bury as best we can. I' m not really thinking it' s " the one" , but I' m still excited about the deer that are visiting the spot day after day even tho I' ve left scent all over the place
Old 09-24-2003, 12:21 AM

Default RE: 16 point buck rumors... real?

dont you just love the anticipation? theres 2 bruisers cruising my area that we ve caught on the deercams......season starts saturday, and I cant wait
Old 09-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

IT IS ABSOLUTELY KILLING ME!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

16 point typical is hard to come by for sure... But I' m sure there is one out there... Good luck with him and post the pics if ya get your hands on him...
Old 09-24-2003, 12:05 PM

last year I saw a 14 pt. typical (someone had killed it and we just happend to be at teh same gas station. I would guess that a 16 pt. typical is possible...and bscofield, it was in your state!

beej
Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

well the story goes like this:

A neighbor kid (neighboor to where I' m hunting) calls his dad at work one time on the phone and asks, " Dad, how do you tell the size of a deer?" And the dad tells him to count the points on his antlers and asks why. Well there was this massive buck on the front lawn munching (not un-typical for this area). So the kid says, " There' s 8." Dad asks if that' s for both sides and the kid says nope, 8 on one side. 2 weeks after that a friend of mine (who owns the property) was bowhunting get' s down off the stand and sits at the base of his tree for a little while at the end of the day. Getting ALMOST too dark to shoot. Then suddenly (all good stories have a " and suddenly" in them) while he' s sitting there he hears from the other side of the tree to his back, a few huge snorts and a some stomping! He whips around and for all he could tell, as the big guy spooks and takes off, is that it HAD to have been that 16 pointer his neighbor' s kid saw. Which incidently he hadn' t heard about it from the neighbor yet...
Old 09-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thats part of the fun of bowhunting........even with stealth cams, all the sign in the world, and scouting, we just never know what sort of buck might just show up in your hunting area!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:55 PM

While rare, they certainly are possible. My brother has a replica of a perfectly typical 8x9 in his store. It is a replica of a pair of sheds found in Canada I believe and would' ve scored well over the current world record had he ever been killed. Its simply an amazing set of " horns" and makes for quite a conversation piece.

Having " lots" of points can quickly up the score of a buck, lol. Two years ago in southern MO I killed a buck that is a clean 12 pointer yet had matching 1.5" kickers on each G-2 making him a symmetrical 14. The buck was heavy and tall but only has a 13.5" inside spread. When I killed him I was guessing him to score in the mid 140s (I had previously never killed anything larger, pointwise, than 10s). It was officially gross scored at 154" . I was flaberghasted to say the least. When you start talking about typicals and matching 12s, 14s or larger you are looking at bucks that will really throw off your " guestimates from a stand" and actually get " ground growth" as opposed to shrinkage. LMAO, and thats ALWAYS GOOD!!!

bsc you are in the St. Louis area correct? Just remember that the world record nontypical was found dead in that city and the surrounding area is as good of a " top end" producer as anyother area of the continent. The MO and MS River bottoms grow some " MOONSTUHS" and you are lucky to get to call that area home! A 16 point typical in such areas could easily surpass 200" ! []

Good luck and if you just need some help " sizin him up" I am only 4 hours from you!
RA
Old 09-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

2 weeks after that a friend of mine (who owns the property) was bowhunting get' s down off the stand and sits at the base of his tree for a little while at the end of the day
Was your friend bowhunting " last year" or was he poaching this year...I' m cornfused.

Quick Reply: 16 point buck rumors... real?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.